add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

a lame power supply comparison - for fun.

gcha8e
  • 72 months ago

So this is for fun, I'm building a junk gaming rig and I have two PSU's on hand.

The machine has an older DG33BU intel mobo with an core 2 processor. The graphics card is going to be an EVGA GT 610 which draws 30W.

The PSU's I have are a recently purchased 480W KDM generic looking PSU that has a single +12V rail by the looks of it, that can handle 24A on the rail. It cost about $36 new. It was originally a replacement for an old Dell desktop that had a 250W power supply that died (don't ask me why I paid extra for the higher rating instead of replacing with a cheaper 250W unit)

The second PSU came with the old machine I'm working on upgrading and it is a well used EnLight Corporation 290W dual rail unit. The two rails are rated 14 A and 8A. The PSU is rated to 300W and specifies a peak of 350W.

Remember this is not an ultra serious machine, this is just me being OCD and having a good time learning about custom builds using very cheap parts, lol.

I guess the question is this: Which one of these two PSU's is worth keeping?

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

go with a single rail over double rail.

• 72 months ago
  • 2 points

lol that's pretty well the best information to give.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

righto.

Cheers mates!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Reading material, HARDWAREsecrets. You can decide which has better internals.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, thanks but, I don't have the patience to make it through 14 pages of that, can you point me to the key page or just give me your wild *** guess or a first impression of which you would go with?

I mean, the EnLight is larger, weighs more, has a nicer looking detailed sticker..... I suppose I could go with bigger is better. The 480W KDM gives me the impression of cheapness, but it has MORE power! :D

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

The honest truth is neither of them is really worth anything, so keep either keep them both or toss them out.

I can't find any real information on either of them. So its anyone's guess as to which one is actually better. Heavy is better than lighter. Either PSU will be just fine for the build listed.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

heavy... yes, heavy can reveal solid quality.

[comment deleted]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I said heavier is better than lighter. I didn't say it reveals solid quality. But without knowing who actually made the power supply, weight is really the only thing to go by other than what the label says.

Best way to sum it up. "The weight of a power supply is directly related to the quantity, quality, and size of the material (thus cost) used to build the power supply."

"By no means is the weight the best way to measure the quality of a power supply. There are other factors one should consider in purchasing a power supply such as wattage, output, brand, price, noise level, and long-term stability. However, to most end-users, measuring the weight may be the only viable method that's widely available."

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

DoHbOyBlAzEd summed it up. Without knowing the internals, no reasonable suggestion can be made. The only time I deal with generics is due to charity work and when I do, I open up the power supplies for inspection.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

ya. Well, I could open it up, I did open up a failed one, and I looked in there and I saw...... Greek.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube