add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Unresponsive custom PC build

TheAliSalas
  • 13 months ago

What up,

So I have this custom PC that I was able to get from a family member, only catch is that the PC becomes unresponsive at the desktop after login. It seems to be after a random duration, the PC just becomes unresponsive, however, I can still move the cursor on screen freely, but if I click on anything such as the taskbar, I get a blue spinning wheel. Keyboard inputs do nothing.

In terms if the parts are compatible with each other, I have no idea, I don’t know much about building computers. Here are the specs:

-Intel Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad core -ASRock B360M-HDV Micro ATX Motherboard -Team L5 LITE 480GB 2.5 SSD -Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Windforce OC Video Card -Cougar VTE 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply -(1)Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 8GB at 2400MHz

I tried to attempt a complete reinstall of Windows 10 hoping it would solve the issue but now the PC freezes during the Windows 10 installation. My guess is that there’s some conflicting hardware here.

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have another HD or SSD that you can swap?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I do not, could that be the issue?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

It could be. I figured if you had one on hand, it would be a fairly easy swap and windows reinstall to see if it would correct the issue. The freezing during the reinstall has me asking questions about it. Before you reinstalled windows, did the computer take longer to boot than normal?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I hope its not the SSD. The PC itself is brand new, my cousin was unable to figure out why it was freezing during the initial install of Windows and after many hours of constant rebooting of the PC it finally installed successfully but then it started freezing shortly after getting to the desktop. The computer before I decided to reset it, booted with no struggle, booted up in about 5 seconds.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm... it could still have issues out of the box though but let's go a different direction for a second since it's new. Does the PC have an after market cooler on the CPU? Also, does the CPU fan run when the computer boots up?

Also, has your cousin built a PC before?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

So opening up the PC, I noticed the video card fans are not spinning. I tried something out: I unplugged the only visible cable I could see from the video card and tried booting up the PC, only for the PC to tell me to plug in said cable. So, the computer IS detecting the video card but the fans are not spinning.

I’m at noob at this, so will the computer freeze up if the video card fans don’t spin? Is it like to prevent the card from overheating?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

No. Fans on the GPU are off unless it needs cooling, like if you're playing games or GPU rendering, etc. The computer will not freeze up, but if the fans aren't spinning and the GPU overheats, then yes, the computer will shut down.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, surely booting up the PC to install Windows wouldnt need the GPU fans. The PC was given to me because no one could figure out what was wrong with it. I decided since it was brand new it was a simple fix, but trying every option I can find brings no solution.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm.... they should only spin when the PC first boots up, like when you press the power button. That should be it. Otherwise, they won't spin until something is using it. Try updating the driver.

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I’m new to the forums.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube