add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC crashing after playing games

Username289
  • 12 months ago

If I play let's say rainbow six siege after a round or 2 my computer will crash. I installed these new parts into my system.

Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KJzbr6

Is this a ram issue? these ram modules aren't on my motherboards QVL but I suppose that might not matter too much, right? also if there aren't compatible, will the computer shut off like what's happening to me or?

I'm not sure what the issue is.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I wonder if the motherboard could be bad somehow, I don't know. Maybe it's just the ram, I really don't know.

Would it be possible that this is a motherboard issue?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have, to the newest version. (before I even made this post)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, how is it crashing? Back to desktop or the entire computer freezes and no recovery? Or even bluescreen? What's your ram speed running at? I'm fairly certain it's your ram. Ryzen is very picky on ram. Is your XMP profile enabled?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Whole computer shuts off and I power it back on. Idle use is fine, I haven't stressed tested it yet but could. It crashes when playing rainbow six siege (only game I've tested so far).

edit: my ram is rated at 3000mhz on the package, but it's set to 2133mhz in the BIOS. I can adjust it to 3000mhz in the bios, but even then it's not stable (still would crash if I played a game)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Is your CPU overheating? I don't think memory causes a computer to just shut down, unless it's voltage? Is XMP enabled for your ram? This adjusts your timings and voltages as intended from the factory (sometimes). It's worth trying.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think so it's brand new and I'm using the default cpu cooler that came with it, no OC. stock speeds. no reason for it to be.. and no XMP is not enabled currently.

edit: want me to try and enable XMP?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I enabled an XMP profile and it still didn't fix my problem. After playing some siege on the second round my system turned off. (Edit: the XMP settings I used clocked the ram to 2800mhz)

What do you think it is? I'm stumped. Is this a power supply issue perhaps.. or... maybe my motherboard or the ram? I don't know. cpu, mobo and ram are new. everything else is from my old parts.

the psu I have worked fine with my olds parts. PSU: Inland ILG-500R2 (500w) GTX EVGA 1060 3gb SC edition CPU: fx 8350 Mobo: Asrock 970m pro3 Ram: some kit of ddr3 ram

Those are my old parts, I got a new cpu, mobo and ram as I've said. Still using the same PSU and GPU. (wouldn't expect my psu to be bad, but you never know what could happen.) Also these new parts should run fine power wise, right? The new parts use less power then the fx chip lol

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Linking you to one of my new comments so you can see it if you didn't already. https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/308026-pc-crashing-after-playing-games#cx3119149

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you updated your drivers to the latest GPU drivers?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I've installed them yesterday because I reinstalled windows on my SSD. screenshot

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Note: Bios is up-to-date, and so is my GPU drivers.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok... Check voltages with Open Hardware Monitor to make sure that they're stable. Post them here.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay... what should I look for exactly? it spiking up or something? to be fair I think it'd be fine at default settings, no?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

also to what I asked, which voltages do you wanna see? My dram voltages is at 1.360V and doesn't change. min and max is 1.360v.

cpu, ram, or?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Check your temps under load. It might be that the CPU is heating which is causing it to shut down.

Voltages to post: CPU Vcore RAM Voltage: GPU Voltage:

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Highly doubt that. It's a brand new CPU also at stock settings. No overclock. Must be a ram issue.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't matter, CPU's can be faulty right out of the box. All parts can be. Just try to check temps.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Know that I am returning the ram tomorrow to newegg for a replacement of the same ram, and see if that resolves the issue some how. (bad batch of ram?) I don't really know what the issue is. Please let me know what I should try.. thank you!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I would try one stick at a time and see if it crashes. Run mdsched.exe through windows key + R. If you know for sure your ram is faulty then you return it for the same kit, if it's not faulty ram I would exchange for a completely different and compatible kit on your manufacturer's website.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

mdsched.exe is the built in windows memory diagnostics tool btw

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I would try one stick at a time and see if it crashes.

Already did that and it will crash with 1 stick in after playing a game.

Also I returned the ram this morning for a replacement to be send back to me. Perhaps this new kit of ram will work. (Same kit) and if that doesn't solve my issue I'll pick a different set of ram that is on the QVL list to make sure it works. If that doesn't work then maybe I'll get a new MOBO. Lol

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep me posted on what happens.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do thanks

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Full parts list?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Here you go PSU isn't listed as I can't find it on PCP or online, but it's by a company named "Inland" and is a 500w model.

[comment deleted]
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

his psu is junk

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll replace it then. I mean it works but do you think it's causing this?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

A bad psu can cause crashing

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. Yeah can't find it easily so it's probably trash. Going to get a new one, a good one. Maybe a seasonic or Corsair one..

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Got my new ram (replacement), both sticks are working so far. I'll update how it goes. They're clocked at 2800 currently.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube