add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions on Apex Legends

Majekdor

3 months ago

How does everyone feel about the new game from Respawn? I know it just came out today so I don't expect a lot of people to have been able to try it out but what are the opinions of those who have? Personally I really like it even with the small amount of time that I've played it. Honestly I've been playing mostly Fortnite recently and this is an excellent break from that chaos. I'm obviously still a little confused and just not well versed in what guns are good and what exactly I should be putting on each gun. One thing that was kind of annoying me while I was playing it was the fact that I could never seem to find any ammo. That is one thing I do like about Fortnite is how most of the time you don't really have to worry a lot about finding ammo. Maybe I just got unlucky but that was one thing I noticed.

How does everyone else feel about it? I don't think by any means that it'll dethrone Fortnite as the king of Battle Royale but it seems like a good game so far.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

Long story short, It's the first BR game I've played that I really like.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Its art style was not what I was expecting but it's pretty cool, I have no idea of the lore behind these "legends" (Didn't even know these people where in titanfall). It's fun, I'm enjoying it and I hope it gets popular

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I have mixed feelings. Titanfall 2 was the best multiplayer of the current gen and did it while still having a full and critically acclaimed single-player campaign mode. It was sent out to die by EA competing for sales with its own Battlefield and CoD. It also had a genuinely decent post-launch support without loot boxes or a season pass. This new game post EA buyout is, on the face of it, a bandwagon chasing title aimed at selling hideous microtransactions. It's existence makes the chances of a Titanfall 3 remote. All of which sounds incredibly negative.

On the other hand. I'm able to appreciate how EA has chosen to play its hand in relation to Battle Royale and on the surface this looks like they have played a blinder. F2P allows people to jump in and try it without the £50 entry fee that CoD: Blackout is charging and means that players will be less contemptuous of its cosmetic microtransactions. The fact it's made by Respawn is (aside from the fact they'll never make another Titanfall obviously) a real boon. It's clearly been built using repurposed Titanfall 2 assets (The dropship is a straight re-skin for example) and that means it runs well and functions. Epic took charge of the Battle Royale genre just by being free and having a game that simply functioned correctly. Lastly it does without Fortnites building mechanics which grate with as many people as they gel with.

I can see this being able to co-exist with Fortnite as they have very different aesthetics. But if Apex gains traction I can see it really taking a bite out of Blackout. Be interesting to see how it goes. Given that they don't have any single-player Activision may need to take Blackout F2P themselves in order to deal with this and Fortnite pressuring them.

I set it to download last night and ran through the training tutorial. Going to give it a try this evening. So far the only thing I don't particularly like is the character design of the legends themselves. They all seem designed by committee. Wraith does the Naruto run. Honestly I like the sound of her abilities but could I live with myself knowing what I look like on other peoples screens?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I gave it a couple of hours last night on PS4. Trying to get a handle on the map. I think it's in a pretty solid launch state. Only had a couple of issues with getting hung up trying to go back to lobby after a team wipe. It is, as I suspected, a battle royale that works and is free. Fortnite currently has nothing to worry about but Blackout and PUBG do.

In terms of gameplay I think there needs to be a weapon balance pass. I know that high capacity magazines are a pickup item, but the SMG's are really suffering without them as standard. The R99 has an 18 rounder when you pick it up and the rate of fire burns through it too fast. Found the Longbow DMR in my last game and it is a beast. Really like that one.

I presume that if I want to play on PC I need to download Origin?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, on PC it's through Origin but is a surprisingly small game in terms of download size. I agree with the SMG's suffering due to fire rate + clip size but it's definitely something Respawn can fix.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the install size?

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Around 20GB

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I like it, i wish it ran better on budget hardware. I like to think I have pretty good aim, I have practiced on it a lot with various games, but it's hard to aim well when i get constant dips to ~40fps during gun fights.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

A friend of mine is really enjoying it, surprisingly so. Talking to him about it is piquing my interest. I find it fascinating how they stealth launched it. It also makes me think of Evolve with some of the classes, which I think was a game that deserved better than it got. I might try it out soon.

Frankly I played Titanfall one and was bored after just a few hours. I bought into the hype of it and got burned. It was fine, there just wasn't a whole lot to it. So if they don't make a Titanfall 3 I won't care, I know a lot of people are upset about that.

Definitely won't unseat Fortnite but I wouldn't be surprised if it claims a nice little audience.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

"I find it fascinating how they stealth launched it."

Maybe someone learned a lesson from No Man's Sky.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

lol @No Man's Lie.

But it is highly unusual for a game to launch like this, with zero press lead up. Even indie games get more coverage than this did; this was virtually unknown before release. I have heard people say that it was a planned move by EA, because they've gotten so much negative press following Battlefront 2 and Battlefield V. So they intentionally kept the game underwraps until launch to keep negative press from building up just by way of being associated with them as a publisher.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Haven't tried it, but I did some research (i.e., watched the Angry Joe Review).

No solo mode bugs me. It's not just that teaming with other people is often annoying, it's that I frequently have to bail on a game to deal with other things. I don't like flaking out on a team.

No building. I kinda like Fortnite, the only new game I've played recently, but the building mechanic baffles me. This looks more enjoyable based on that alone. (And the lack of goofy skins is a plus too.)

Specialized roles. I don't like this so much, although I'm clearly in the minority. Never liked the tank/healer/DPS thing, and this looks like a modification of that.

Getting a little old for BR. Reflexes slow down, and old injuries start taking a toll.

Some games, especially FPS, are like disaster movies. Yeah, they change the details to make each new iteration fresh, but there's nothing fundamentally original.

Overall it looks like fun, and I might well give it a go. But I don't think it's the game I'm looking for, something that would get me really enthusiastic about spending more time gaming.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah the fact that you can only play in trios is pretty annoying especially since I have no friends on PC who play it right now. And yeah people will just dip quite often which is very annoying.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Apparently, you don't get rewards if you bail on your team, even if you die first. You have to wait through for the rest of your team to die, or win, to get "experience points" or whatever the progression system is in this game.

I don't like teaming with randoms much, but it sounds like there are tons of contextual in-game voice commands. So it sounds like you won't have to hop on mic with people if you don't want to.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I've found their pinging system very intuitive and helpful especially when playing with randoms. If I don't want to use my mic I can just use that to communicate but I also use it even when I'm using my mic to communicate with my team because it's that good.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

That's dope. From what I've seen of it, it seems very intuitive and useful.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube