add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Weird cpu temp issues

Shiggity-Shaggity

12 months ago

I just built a PC using the Crosshair VII and the Ryzen 2700x and some temp programs seem to be reporting temps way higher than it actually is. When I open the BIOS I am getting normal idle temps (35-38C) and the Ryzen Master program is reporting the same temps. However, some programs are reporting temps that seem like Fahrenheit rather than Celsius. Some of the programs reporting incorrectly are reporting seemingly random temps. One is reporting 85 C and then I switch to another program and it's all of a sudden at 114 C. I have reseated the cooler (kraken x62) and the CPU. I cleaned both contact surfaces thoroughly and applied the normal pea sized amount of thermal compound. Everything is seated correctly and the motherboard is reading the correct temps but the programs are reporting different things. I've never had this happen with other PC's I've built. The PC is also emergency shutting down while idle. I also felt the parts while on and nothing was even slightly hot much less 100 degrees Celsius. Any help would be appreciated.

Specs: CPU/CPU Cooler: Ryzen 2700x/kraken x62 Motherboard: Crosshair VII (non-wifi) GPU: GTX 970 (just ordered an RTX 2080) Case: Obsidian 500D RGB SE Case Fans: 4 LL120's and 2 LL140's RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB 3200MHz Boot drive: Samsung 970 evo 250GB

CPU is overclocked to 4000MHz and RAM is overclocked to it's advertised 3200MHz

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

CPU is overclocked to 4000MHz and RAM is overclocked to it's advertised 3200MHz

PB/XFR can easily hit past 4.0Ghz. Lose the overclock by setting BIOS back to default and manually overclock your RAM/XMP-auto.

See how the temps measure-up at stock/turbo.

I would also encourage using HWINFO for a detailed read-out of thermal sensory reports coupled with voltage/fan behaviour/clocked frequencies/etc. Maybe take a snapshot to share. With a decent cooler in place (Kraken 62) and re-mounted, I would suspect the vcore being the culprit.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do. I will reply again when I get results.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you can get the CPU to 4.2+, set it back to stock, the turbo boost does a better job.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I know, I was just playing around with clocks at the time of this post as I just built it. I just want to figure this out before I do too much. I already set it back to stock.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Use Ryzenmaster or HWinfo to monitor temps, they would be the most accurate.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube