add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thinking about grabbing a 2070 card, need advice.

FourN

5 months ago

Hi Everyone,

My current issue which is causing me to think of an upgrade is the fact that on a lot of games I get irregular screen tearing and I have to, a lot of the time, adjust settings for a while until I see a decent FPS performance. Some games run okay (Destiny) others require a lot of messing around the settings (Apex Legends, Sea of Thieves).

My current specs are:

• Ryzen 2700x 4.35Ghz CPU
  • GTX 1060 6gb GPU
  • 1920x1080p 75Hz Monitor

I'm not sure if it's the monitor that's causing an issue or if the video card has served it's duty at this point. I thought maybe a 2070 gpu would solve my issues and allow me to run games at "pretty" settings, but I have a sneaky suspicion that my monitor could be the issue here? Would perhaps a 144hz monitor help the screen tearing issues? Any advice would be helpful, I really am not very hardware-savvy.

tl;dr: I want to run games at high settings and maintain a good fps performance, without screen tearing. Should I upgrade from 1060 6gb to a 2070 card or from a 75hz monitor to a 144hz monitor, or both?

Regards, Andrius

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

What kind of FPS are you getting? How stable is your FPS? If your FPS is highly irregular it could contribute to the tearing. The easiest solution to screen tearing is turning on Vsync, but lots of folks don't want to do that.

The second easiest solution is a Gsync/Freesync monitor. Nvidia GPUs did not support Freesync, but very recently Nvidia announced they would begin to support them on a case-by-case basis. However you'll want to do some compatibility research before buying one. Any Gsync monitor would fix the problem, but those are expensive as hell. Then again, the RTX 2070 is pretty pricey too, so if you're willing to spend the money then Gsync will get the job done.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your response. Yeah while Vsync fixes the screen tearing, it introduces that pesky input lag that hinders FPS gaming. I was considering the new card for running games at higher settings also, but I am afraid that I won't be able to use the new GPU to its best potential due to limitations of my current 75hz monitor? Would I be correct there? If I went and bought a 2070, would it be highly recommended to get a better refresh rate monitor?

My FPS actually varies on different games - on league of legends I can go way over 140 fps even without any screen tearing/input delay issues, while on a game like Apex Legends I have to reduce nearly all settings down to lowest/mid to reach smooth fps (going by feel as there isn't an FPS counter on that game). Sea of Thieves for example, FPS is very irregular, it keeps jumping up and down, fps is limited to 72 however due to my monitor's refresh rate.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean technically yes, the 75Hz monitor can't display the higher framerates you would achieve with the 2070. So yeah it wouldn't be used to its "best potential", in a certain sense. However you have a 2700X which is a critical component (arguably much more critical than a GPU) in achieving a high framerate, yet nobody ever makes this consideration when CPU shopping. You were fine buying a 2700X and a 75Hz monitor despite that CPU being able to deliver framerates much higher than 75FPS in your games. But I digress.

If I went and bought a 2070, would it be highly recommended to get a better refresh rate monitor?

For many people it would be. I would say they're all thinking somewhat-erroneously, as I described above. Personally it would not be "highly" recommended from me. It would certainly be nice to have, sure.

It sounds like the games you are playing are tapping out your current system (at least Apex Legends is, which I hear is hard to run). That alone makes the 2070, or some kind of better GPU at least, a compelling argument. If you got money to throw around, a new monitor would be sweet too, and Gsync/Freesync would virtually guarantee you eliminate the tearing.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

In my personal experience, the monitor being the bottleneck is not pleasant.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Aside from the RTX GPU being overpriced, then yes you will get a better experience with a RTX 2070 at high/ultra settings. Now is it worth spending $500 dollars on a GTX 1080 "like" performance GPU? Not really sure but IMO no. Atleast not upgrading from a 1060 to a 2070. If you had a 1050TI or 970 then I'd say its worth it.

I also own a similar system paired with a 1700X and a 144hz (ASUS VG248QE) non freesync/gsync monitor and I dont get screen tearing in those games. Then again, I'm all about high fps and I usually just turn AA and graphic settings to low/medium anyways. I can't stand all the smoke/sun and all the other random stuff that can distract you.

So if you were to upgrade to a RTX 2070 it would be a crime to not pair that RTX 2070 without anything thats not 1080p 144hz or 1440p 144hz gysnc/freesnyc.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for sharing. Do you think my best bet is to upgrade my monitor to a higher refresh rate? Would the 1060 6gb card pair better with a 144hz monitor than my current 75Hz one?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I know for a fact that the GTX 1060 6gb card will not hit 144hz in most AAA title games at high graphic settings. If you do some tweaking or just set graphics to low/medium you will achieve 100+ fps in most games. I personally think a 144hz monitor is worth upgrading over your GPU. You will just noticed that not only will games be smoother but the whole windows environment being smoother. Just keep that GPU a little longer until RTX lowers in price or AMD actually makes something worth buying.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Alright. I think I'll take the safe route and go with a 144hz monitor for now and see what it's like before upgrading to an over-priced GPU. The monitor might eliminate my input lag/screen tearing issues. Thanks again for your input.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube