add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Completely and utterly stumped

Leopardfoot
  • 12 months ago

Made a new build, PCPart picker says that all the parts are compatible. Looks like it should use only 240W and I have a 500W power supply. Yet every time I try to turn it on, you see the motherboard light up and immediately go off. Pressing the power button, the fans and leds turn on for a few seconds and then cut off, a few seconds after that they turn on, and then just repeat that cycle. Obviously nothing comes up on any monitor plugged into. I have tried removing my RAM, Video card, and unplugging my SSD from the power, but still the same cycle while turning off and on. I am just completely bamboozled.

Build: PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9FMF6s Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9FMF6s/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.79 @ OutletPC) CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Contac Silent 12 74.33 CFM CPU Cooler ($21.76 @ OutletPC) Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS ULTRA GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00) Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($63.79 @ OutletPC) Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Amazon) Video Card: NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Founders Edition Video Card ($419.99 @ Amazon) Case: Corsair - SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case Power Supply: EVGA - 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.89 @ OutletPC) Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-10 12:17 EST-0500

Edit: after reseating every component, the LED's are consistently on. Will have to plug into output monitor to verify that everything in working.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

So are you saying you reseated them, or did you remove them?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I removed them all to try to determine that none of them were causing the power to turn on then off.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Plug in the 8 pin CPU power

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard now flashes red before turning off instead of white with the 8 pin CPU power and 24 pin and thermal fan plugged in.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube