• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Orion8x3 4 days ago

I currently still have a i5-4670 quad core (purchased 8/2014) installed on my pc. Question is when should I upgrade? Im new to the pc world and I had a lot of help building this computer 2014. I have a H100i installed too and would like to tackle replacing the cpu by myself but it feels a little risky. I use the computer for gaming and I prefer performance over graphics, id rather drop video settings down a little to let the game run smoother than have the best quality picture. I play games on it still and I don't feel like there is a performance issue but ive never played on a newer computer with a more up to date CPU. Only thing I have upgraded since 2014 is the power supply and the Video Card.

Comments Sorted by:

Gilroar 1 Build 6 points 4 days ago

Question is when should I upgrade?

When the PC no longer suits your performance needs or it dies.

The biggest question you have to answer with any system is. Are you happy with it?

If you are happy and it performs as you want then there really is no need to upgrade.

mark5916 2 points 4 days ago

Pretty much what Gilroar stated above.

DrLitch 1 Build 1 point 4 days ago

Right now, what you have is pretty good and not worth upgrading right now - at least if all you use your PC for is gaming and browsing etc.... You will get to the point, when mainstream boards start supporting DDR5, or a higher end GPU comes out that will be strongly limited by your current chipset, then an upgrade path will present itself. Your i5-4670 is not at that point yet.

Orion8x3 submitter 1 Build 1 point 4 days ago

Thanks buddy that’s what I needed to hear!

[comment deleted]