add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Choosing an Intel board - HELP

adamboyce556
  • 14 months ago

Hey. So I’m currently building a setup for gaming/streaming but on a tight budget right now. Putting an i3-8100 until I can eventually upgrade to something like an i6-8600k or i7-8700k (would be cool to get the 8086k but whatever). What board is recommended? I’m stuck in mATX and mITX form factor just so you know, but I’m looking for a quality motherboard preferably mini itx. I prefer ASUS boards cause aura sync but I’m not sure what chipset to go with. Suggestions?

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

If you have in mind to use a i7-8700K or even a newer processor in the long run, i would recommend a ITX board over a mATX one that uses a Z390 chip-set.

And in particular this one.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fvQG3C/asrock-z390-phantom-gaming-itxac-mini-itx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-phantom-gaming-itxac

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're aiming to eventually upgrade to an i5-8600K or i7-8700K, then the chipset should be Z370 or Z390, because those allow overclocking and mean you can take full advantage of those unlocked processors.

Given your preferences for Asus and mini-ITX, your options boil down to the ROG Strix Gaming, either the Z370-I or Z390-I.

Both of those are good boards, but expensive, and would tie up a lot of your budget for the build without really helping you game or stream right now.

Personally, I'd suggest either an i5-8400 on a B360 or H370 board, or an AMD build instead, with a Ryzen 5 2600 on a B450 board.

Hopefully this gives you some more info to go on :-)

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah the ASUS thing eats up near 40% of my budget for those... may end up doing Strix if I go for h370 or b360, as I’m not that into overclocking anyways. Or an ASRock Pro4 as they seem to be the best bang for your buck on budget mobos. Thanks anyways.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube