• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SackNPally 6 days ago

Hello! https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SackNPally/saved/84sD23 This Video Card in my part list is out of stock, hopefully by the time I order all the parts it will be back in stock, but just in case it stays unavailable, what’s a good alternative video card for a similar price? Thanks!

Comments Sorted by:

DanteLovesPizza 1 point 6 days ago

How budget strict are you?

I mean, can you put forth another $100? If so, I would get the 2070 instead. Vega 64s are generally not advised, they're power hungry, they run hot, they run loud, and these are made worse when it's a blower card. I can understand if you're budget strict and can't fork out another $100, or you don't think $100 for a 2070 that's roughly the same in performance is worth it, but if you want something similar in performance and in price, there's nothing else to consider right now.

Just checking now, there's a Gigabyte Gaming OC 2070 for $490 from Newegg, and you get to choose Anthem or Battlefield V for free with it, which if you planned to buy one of them anyway and factor that cost in, the 2070 is only $460 or $430 in reality, depending on which game you choose, but will be cooler and quieter.

Just my personal opinion.

SackNPally submitter 1 point 6 days ago

Hey, thanks for replying! I’m pretty budget strict but someone submitted a slightly modified build that only costs about 50 bucks more. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SackNPally/saved/dfj6sY What do you think about this build?

It's hard to change if your budget is strict, however, if you can alter other parts and make room, I suppose that would work. The suggested changes are places I would consider too, but I didn't look at it because you only asked for a GPU suggestion. Same performance RAM at a cheaper price, go for it. The MX500 is better in speed, but at 500 GB and being $10 cheaper, I can see the argument for WD Blue. So these are fine.

Also, if you're going with the 2070, get a 550W variant of what you chose instead, the Seasonic Focus Gold 550W, for cheaper, so you can save another $20 there. You don't need 650W and will actually sit better on the efficiency curve with 550W.

In my honest opinion though, I'm not a big fan of the 2700X sitting on a B450 Tomahawk. There aren't any issues with it, but it is a top end CPU sat on a medium motherboard. If you can't spend more on the motherboard, perhaps consider the 1700X instead? The 2700X is not a big improvement over the 1700X, you're looking at the 2700X with a 4.3 GHz single-core boost and a 4.0 GHz all-core boost vs a 1700X that can overclock to 4.0 GHz with a budget cooler like the Hyper 212 EVO on a good quality X370. The 1700X build is slightly cheaper and will let you get a better motherboard. Just for reference, you can take a look:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor $190.88 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - M9a 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler $25.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard $179.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $57.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card $489.99 @ Newegg
Case Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $43.41 @ B&H
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.90 @ Amazon
Case Fan Cougar - Dual-X 64.37 CFM 120mm Fan $14.80 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1231.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-14 00:22 EST-0500
  • Do note, the Hyper 212 EVO won't fit in the case you've chosen, so I chose the M9a. The M9a has matching performance to the Hyper 212 EVO, however, while I've seen builds of the 1700X with a Hyper 212 EVO overclock to 4.0 GHz, I haven't seen this with the M9a, but with matching performance, I'm sure it will do just as well.

• Why the X370 Taichi? It's just a nice motherboard and I know it, so I don't have to read reviews again. There are other equally as good motherboards that MIGHT be cheaper, so you may want to check them out if you're going to consider about this build. The Taichi motherboards across all chipsets have just been great so far and the prices have been reasonable, so it's just my go-to suggestion, but in no way does it mean I'm saying it's "the best" motherboard.

Okay, interesting. I appreciate the feedback. What would the cons of having the current motherboard be? I really like the 2700 but I’d be willing to reconsider. I just don’t want to downgrade the machine if I don’t have to.

There's no "con" per se, it's just a more expensive motherboard will have more features, maybe even better quality in some instances. Features are things like power delivery, number of USB ports, number of PCIe slots and SATA ports, number of M.2 ports, built-in wi-fi, PCIe lane distribution, etc. In all fairness, these don't matter unless you have a specific need for them, they're just nice features to have and some people have a demand for these, yet it's not obvious when you just look at it, you have to compare it to really know.

Like power delivery, better power delivery will let you overclock better and offer you the option to upgrade the CPU in the future without worrying about throttling because newer CPUs might need a better power delivery, but since the 2700X shouldn't be overclocked, and I wouldn't upgrade it to anything in the lifetime of the AM4 socket, honestly it's not really a big factor. Similarly, USB ports shouldn't really be an issue for a regular consumer, likewise for SATA ports, and at this level, I would only use one GPU, so PCIe lanes and ports shouldn't be an issue. All in all, these will not affect performance.

If you like the 2700X and the little extra isn't pushing you over the edge, stick with it, honestly, the 1700X was just something to consider. If you're not looking to upgrade to a third generation or fourth generation Ryzen and want to use this machine for like five or six years, I just wouldn't bother with the 1700X build. Get this and be happy with it. If you're thinking of upgrading to a fourth generation Ryzen in two years, then buying the 2700X now is just an expensive cost for minimal performance over the 1700X when it's only being used for two years. Choose based on needs and what you want from it.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I do plan on using this build for as long as it can last me, so I think I’m happy with it. Thanks again for the insight!

GameFan12 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

A little over $50 more you could add a 2070

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $308.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $110.41 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $57.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card $489.99 @ Newegg
Case Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case $43.41 @ B&H
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1275.16
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1255.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-13 22:08 EST-0500

I like this build a lot and it helps make that video card cheaper. Is that Power Supply going to be strong enough for long sessions of hard gaming or should I upgrade that?

Sinsure 1 point 6 days ago

The psu is fine and the giga 2070 oc is a great no fuss card that already comes with decent clocks and easy boost speeds. If you were to get a 2070 for use its a good recomendation

GameFan12 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

You should be fine with that PSU. That 344 Watts is with everything in your system maxed.