PCPartPicker

• Register

Looking for advice on 850 or higher PSU 80+ Gold or higher.

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

JayFury540 1 month ago

Looking for advice on 850 or higher PSU 80+ Gold or higher fully modular to power my VEGA 64 before I throw it into traffic. Doesn't matter what color or if it's ugly as can be case has a PSU and HDD cover. Just looking for a good review and a great rating. Got this 4 year old PSU in there now EVGA SuperNOVA 850 B2 80+ BRONZE, 850W Semi Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 5 Year Warranty Power Supply 110-B2-0850-V1 and I'm having so many issues I'm surprised I haven't set it all on fire yet. Lol. Anyway a new PSU and better rated could do nothing but help. Thanks for reading^ Edit: Has to be like Amazon, Newegg, or someone that will ship as well.

Comments Sorted by:

TheShadowGuy 3 points 1 month ago

You really shouldn't need an 850W PSU. I'm running a tweaked Vega 56/mildly overclocked i5-4670k on an older 650W Seasonic G PSU with no issues and more than enough wattage to spare. If anything, it's more about the quality of the PSU in question. I've heard some rumours of Vega being picky about power, especially when tweaked.

See if you can find a good deal on a Seasonic Focus Plus or Corsair RMx perhaps?

JayFury540 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Thanks for the tip will def look into those. I just want the extra juice cause why not I know it's not needed though.

OrionFOTL 1 point 1 month ago

What issues do you have with your PSU?

Well I'm having a ton of issues with the VEGA 64 most of which I "think" are PSU related so why not upgrade to rule one more thing out is my thinking. I have drivers stop responding, screen will go black and flip through all inputs and then come back on ( I know this one to be PSU related 100%), some game crashes, AMD software just crash and go away and I'll have to restart it, I have had some Win 10 locking up on me and have to hard reset, the list goes on.

I have reinstalled Win 10 three times fresh. I have tried 5 different drivers, I have tried 3rd party software as opposed to Wattman, MOBO BIOS up to date, CPU chipset drivers up to date etc etc etc. I've troubleshot it for 2 weeks. This is the third card and when I put my R9 390 back in there it ALL goes away. Not one single problem. I'm going to try the power save bios on the card one of these days but for now I'm kinda over it. It can sit and look pretty on my shelf for now. the 390 is going back in there so I can just game for a few days hassle free.

I will be building a whole new system piece by piece slowly anyway this year. Already got my case so a new PSU next is fine by me. Odd... I just recalled while typing this that I bought in this order when I built this system as well. Ironic.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Try a Corsair RMx. Seasonic Prime is another top of the line PSU.

Ok will do thank you for the reply^