PCPartPicker

• Register

Do I need a cpu cooler (experiences builders only)

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

benkimmeyer 1 month ago

I’m going to use a ryzen 5 2600, should I buy an additional liquid cooler...? (If I’m going to use this cooler, can I also remove some case fans since the cooler will be an additional fan?)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/benkimmeyer/saved/zMTGGX -with liquid cooler

Also anything wrong with my build...:-)??

Comments Sorted by:

eesti 1 point 1 month ago

no, you will be fine, also get an SSD, what's your budget?

m52nickerson 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

I’m going to use a ryzen 5 2600, should I buy an additional liquid cooler...?

No, you would only need a liquid cooler if you plan to push an overclock to the max, and up the voltage. At stock speeds the stock cooler is fine. I have a 2600 with a Cryorig M9a (air cooler) and was able to use 1.2 volts without issue. So a simply air cooler would help if you want a mild overclock.

firedrakes 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

correct only time you need something more the a stock cooler is poor air flow in case issue

Levyrat 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I'd start with the stock cooler. You can always add a better cooler later. You might want to add a liquid cooler because AMD's XFR and Precision Boost will give you some performance gain on a cooler CPU, but it's not a necessity.

About the case fans, I don't know. I have two mini ITX builds that don't have any case fans at all. The PSU fan basically gives me all the airflow I need. You can always turn some of the case fans off and see if they're helping or not.

Zerk2012 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Water cooler mount it in the top or back blowing out. Yes you can remove one of the fans.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F2rmP6/corsair-h60-2018-572-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-cw-9060036-ww

13jonesb 1 point 1 month ago

no need for a watercooler at all. it comes with a stock cooler, and that will be fine.

mark5916 1 point 1 month ago

If I’m going to use this cooler, can I also remove some case fans since the cooler will be an additional fan?

No, you should not remove the Casing fans.

Case fans are for pulling cool air into the Case and pushing the hot air out of the Case creating an airflow situation.

The CPU fan is there to move air across the heat-sinks that dissipates the heat from the processor.

So, these are two different things.

Normally you do't need a different CPU cooler, but if you do - you would get lower CPU temps and perhaps higher boost clock speeds at load.

And actually, you don't need an AIO for that CPU.

A good aftermarket air cooler would do a better job than the stock cooler, and is more than enough for the R2600.