add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which PSU is better? (budget build)

LightningProd

9 months ago

My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PFknV6

Currently, I have the Corsair RM550x selected as my PSU, as it is $52 after rebate and coupon, fully modular, and 80+ Gold.

However, the Corsair CX450 is only $16 (after rebate and coupon), although it is only 80+ bronze and not modular.

Which one would be better for the build?

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 6 points

Normally I'd give the usual spiel about PSU being a good long lasting investment and not skimping on it et cetera, but this is a bit of a different case.

Your power requirements are very tame to begin with, and the savings is almost the difference between the 2200G and the 2400G- a nice upgrade to basically both the CPU and GPU. Or you can spend a few bucks on the Versa H18 tempered glass case. Or more/better SSD storage. With all those options, I'd say there is a lot in your system that could benefit from the cost savings of getting the CX450, assuming you can deal with the lack of modularity. It's also one of the few budget PSUs that has reviewed well, so you aren't getting a gutless wonder.

That's my thoughts, at least.

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

The 450 is more then enough for your build. Modular is nice, but it not that hard to deal with what will be perhaps one unused wire.

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

If you don't mind that the CX450 isn't modular, it would be a decent choice. :)

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can afford a Corsair RMx, then you might as well get it. Top notch build quality, excellent electrical performance, good build design, silent operation, and comes with a 7 year warranty. My personal pick would be the RMx.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

...and comes with a 7 year warranty.

Don't take years off. :-P

10 years warranty!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube