add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trying to add an additional ssd

VoidlessRageGaming

12 months ago

I've been looking around at some ssds and finally found one i might want. I have

Asus - MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

I want to add the Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 but its tell me that The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled. can anyone explain to me what this means and if it will be a problem? or if i shouldn't even bother with the 970 nvme and just go with the 860 evo 500gb bc they are the same price.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you only have one other SSD and the HDD, you’ll have 4 SATA ports left (out of 6).

This means that the 970 should slot in with no issues.

However, do you really need NVME? (it carries a price premium and doesn’t really affect anything, unless you’ve got some heavy workloads)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I always saw people talking about ssds and nvmes and so on and so forth. they were both around the same amount so i just didn't know which one I should get.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point
  • NVME drives are miles faster than standard SATA SSDs, but they are only good for specific applications where hundreds of GB need to be written (and the loading time difference isn’t noticeable, unless you have larger applications)

• SATA SSDs are slower, but they are faster than HDDs (and don’t carry the cost premium)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube