add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Tested every way I could think of, pretty sure video card is bad. Anything I missed?

macroidtoe
  • 12 months ago

This is my first time building a PC from scratch, but I'm pretty sure I've run into a bad video card.

Parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qYMBRJ

I get 1 long beep and 2 shorter beeps upon booting, I get no video output, and the VGA debug light is on. Tried removing and reseating the video card, no change. The power light on the video card comes on, so it's getting power, just no video output.

I then tried putting the new video card into an old (but compatible) PC, and that PC also had the same result: video card is getting power, but no display output.

I then tried putting an old video card in the new PC, and it booted up into the BIOS menu, no problem. So that at least cleared up that the motherboard is fine.

It looks like the video card is the likely culprit, but is there anything else I'm missing? Is there any possibility that my motherboard needs an update to be able recognize the video card? That's the only other possibility I can think of.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Refer to your motherboard manual for the beep codes.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Found online that the code I'm getting does indicate a problem with the graphics card. Still wondering though if it's a defective card, or is there some step I'm missing... updating the BIOS, installing drivers, something.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

The card should work right out of the box with generic display drivers. What PCIe slot are you using? Are you plugged in through the card outputs? Have you tested multiple output cables? Did your older video card use the same cables as your new card (the 8 or 6 pin cables) maybe you got a bad cable and you should try a different one. If these don't fix your issue it's most likely a bad card.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

My motherboard only has one PCI-E slot, so that's at least one thing I can't mess up, lol. (Had a problem with using the wrong slot the first time I ever installed a graphics card about 15 years ago... Spent two days pulling my hair out before I figured it out.)

I'm plugged in through the card's HDMI output. Also tried the motherboard's output which also didn't work, but I think it doesn't have any onboard video to begin with. Tried two different output cables which were known to work with other hardware, so not worried about those. Power cables were the same for both tests with the new card that doesn't work and the old card which does work, so think that's all good too.

I'm wondering if I were to use the video card from my old computer to go ahead and install Windows, grab drivers, etc., and then put the new video card back in, if it might work. But if that were the case, it leaves me wondering how they expect you to do those updates if you don't already have a second graphics card laying around, lol.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I doubt just grabbing the drivers with the old card would do anything as the new card should work with the preinstalled generic windows display drivers. You could try putting the card in a different system to determine if it was DOA but I'm pretty sure the card is toast

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube