add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RTX 2060 VS GTX 1070Ti at 1080p in the future?

yunamio

4 months ago

Hi, so the RTX 2060 comes with 6GB and the GTX 1070Ti has 8GB, the 2060 is a little faster. At the same price, which one is better ? Well, I mean in the next 5 years will 6GB vram be enough for 1080p?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Hello,

yes, for 1080p either of these will last you. contrary to dschutt's response. the GTX 970 is still very viable as a 1080p card. a 2060 should last you at least 3-4 years at this resolution, since it sits nicely around the GTX 1070 Ti/ GTX 1080, and both of those cards are capable of 1440p

I would not spend more than about 370-380 USD on a 2060 however, since MSRP is supposed to be 350 USD

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I guess this is a gamble after all. Getting 2060 for more fps, or getting 1070Ti for more vram, and who knows which one will die first... Thank you.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

6GB of VRAM will be plenty for 1080p for quite some time, and it's more than enough for 1440p as well. Either choice would give you plenty of performance however

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, true I guess I shouldnt have said the GTX 970 is done. Ive always been someone who buys low to mid and turns the graphics down anyways. I can't stand all the lighting, smoke and added graphic features. I could make the GTX 970 last me a very long time. As for 1080p gaming at "ultra" settings its pretty much not strong enough for newer/future titles.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

As for 1080p gaming at "ultra" settings its pretty much not strong enough for newer/future titles.

I disagree there, it's still a very powerful card, you just need to be careful as to what driver version you have installed as some of nvidia's newer drivers don't perform as well for this card in particular.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the 970 can do 1080p high pretty well in metro exodus

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

the main limiter to the 970 is its VRAM, and it really comes down to game devs to optimize games so they don't just eat VRAM

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The next 5 years? None probably. Look at the GTX 770 vs 970. They are both pretty much shot. If you are planning to keep a card for 5+ years then you should be looking into more high end than mid range.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't have enough budget for higher end cards. I just can't tell which one, the 2060's vram or the 1070Ti's power, will die first, i don't mind playing at 720p low. Really appreciate your opinion.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the RTX 2060 will play 1080p games for a long time. I just mean't that it wont last 5+ years for ultra graphic settings for new/future games. That card should def last 5+ years or whenever you feel like upgrading. Either option would be a good choice and should last a really long time with 1080p low to medium settings.

For AAA title games with all the DXR or DLSS features you'll probably awalys need a newer generation card. For ESPORT games like CSGO, DOTA, League or Overwatch. Well, you should be set for a really really long time.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

today the rtx 2060 is cheaper so rtx 2060 it is (for me atleast).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought a 1070Ti last year. It was on sale for $360, so it was close to 2060 prices. I kinda wish I'd bought the 2060, but I'm not losing any sleep over it, because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference, performance-wise. The benefit to the 2060, IMO, is that it might be better in the next 2 or 3 years if developers take advantage of the 2060's newer tech.

In five years, who knows? In the last five years, I've gone from an HD 7750 to a 750Ti to the 1070Ti, and I'm still behind the curve. Looking five years ahead at GPU performance seems like an iffy proposition to me.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not bragging but I've been on HD 4400 for the last 5 years, and i decide to go with 2060/1070Ti for another 5 years or less depends on the situation. I doubt the 2060's vram will live that long compare to 1070Ti's lower performance. What do you think?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, I think it's a coin flip if you're talking about getting the cards at the same price or pretty close. (The cheapest 1070Ti I see at the moment is $380, which is right in that range.) You pretty much have to benchmark these cards to spot the performance differences, and to me that says they're basically going to look the same to the user.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Buy a 1070ti used if you want, they go for around $280 which is a great deal and I doubt you'd be able to find a 2060 used

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

5 years is way too long to predict how a GPU will respond to games then. Even the mighty 2080Ti might not be able to render titles at 1080p ultra at 60fps. We do not know how Ray Tracing will take off. We do not know how powerful consoles of this age will be (most AAA games are developed for consoles first and foremost and then rough ported to PC), there are lots of variables here. Right now, as things stand, yes, the RTX 2060 should be more than up to the 1080p task for 99.9% of titles that are due for release next two years. How things look 5 years from now, we will have to wait and see...

Using today as an example, the GTX 680 was an incredible card in 2013 when one may have bought one, 5 years later in 2018 and now 2019, it is looking a little lightweight when playing the latest AAA titles like Final Fantasy XV, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and so on. You can still game at 60fps if you set to medium, but at ultra, it is a slog... Of course, in 2013, the 680 was a champ at 1080p gaming and killed it. Not so much today though...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube