add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using 2 separate GPU's for 2 different monitors.

maes

4 months ago

Hey guys,

Just wanted to check this was okay:

So I have a 144Hz monitor running off of a GTX 1070, and I also have a spare 60Hz monitor I would use as a secondary monitor.

When running both monitors off of the same 1070, the temps rise to about 50 degrees Celsius on idle and freezes game play, so I was wondering if adding a cheap GPU to power the secondary monitor would be fine with the rest of the system?

Thanks a lot!~

maes

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

You can still add a 2nd GPU to just power another monitor, though there are complications to doing that. The bigger issue is that by just adding a 2nd monitor in general to your 1070, you're getting these issues. There is no reason it should be doing that. If your GPU is still under warranty, I would look at RMA. I have a 1060 with a 144hz panel and a 2nd 60 hz panel, and they work just fine.

50 degrees idle seems high. How are the rest of your systems temps? It may be worthwhile to post something over here: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/forum/22-troubleshooting/ to see if more experienced users can help you diagnose any issues you may be having.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The GPU isn't under warranty anymore, but it seems alot of other people have the same freezing problem with a 144hz monitor and 60hz monitor dual setup. That's the main problem I'm looking at, and the temp problem hasn't occurred since I removed the 60hz monitor

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea while gaming my 144hz goes down to like 30hz when I have any sort of content on my second(60hz) monitor

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm...that shouldn't be happening. Do you have any sort of syncing tech trying to match the difference in frames achieved by the different monitors? I don't know a whole lot about that, but as long as each monitor is set to use it's set refresh rate, they should be operating independently.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You shouldn't have this issue at all. What case are you using? Are you overclocking? Maybe contact the manufacturer and try to RMA. Runing dual, triple or even quad monitors on a single GTX 1070 shouldnt increase your idle temp or casue games to crash. Are you having these issues when only having one montior installed?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So the games don't actually crash, it's just freezing while gaming. I currently use one single 24" 144Hz monitor, with no freezes in game.

When I use a 24" 60hz monitor, all games I play freeze every 10ish seconds.

EDIT: the GPU is factory overclocked, and I don't manually overclock it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

What specific model of GTX 1070 do you have? if it has a fan stop mode then that might be why you're creeping up to 50c on idle. Also depends on the power settings you have for the gpu.

I know mine can downclock when idle, but when I connect a 2nd monitor even at just the desktop idling its enough usage to bump it above the downclocking threshold so it won't downclock when idle with a 2nd monitor for me.

game freezes are definitely a problem though.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So I've got a Gigabyte 1070 windforce (triple fan) and the temps have only risen once or twice, but it has happened, and yes, I do have a fan stop mode, so that is probably the reason why the temps rose like that.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Reading some of the responses it sounds to be an issue with the card. I was understanding that 2 GPUs alternate frames between each other and sync them together to 1 output. I'm sure that it can be done but probably is complicated (as macetotheface pointed out) and will end up spending more time troubleshooting than using.

In my experience I think there is no need for dual cards unless you are a pro-gamer that gets freebies, very specific applications or need multiple-multiple output screens.

One thing you might want to try and fix since the card is out of warranty is to run a driver cleaner and reinstall the drivers. Also if it was bought used or new-but-returned-item the bios could have been flashed for mining. Or the card is really dirty and the fan is clogged up. Just some ideas, good luck!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok great, thanks for that. I did a full clean on the card (new thermal paste, cleaned the fans, etc) a few weeks ago.

I haven't done anything to the drivers for a while, so I'll look into that.

Thanks again :)

• 4 months ago
  • -2 points

No. You would have to SLI them and SLI only works with 2 of the same card.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

You couldn't be more wrong with that answer. If you run SLI you technically can only run video off the top GPU. If you wanted to run multiple of monitors like 8 plus. You would just run the GPU's not in SLI.

Its not common to run multiple of GPU's but you could run NVIDIA, AMD and Intel all at once.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I know a fair bit about SLI, but I never really had a look at two different cards. I've seem a lot of builds with different GPU's not in SLI, but just wanted to check on it on this forum

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube