add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I’m old and a noob

T56Impala
  • 12 months ago

So I’m attempting to assemble my pc. I’m using the Lian Li 011 and an ASRock x399 Taichi. So, there is a plug in the case I’m not familiar with. It’s dark gray and is a right angle. It looks like it goes to the type C plug on the front panel. Where does it plug in to the motherboard? Does it even get used with this motherboard?

I’m also not familiar with so many power plugs. I’m using an RM850. Is there a guide as to which cable to use where? The 24 pin is obvious but there are several others with adaptable plugs. If I plug it all in, there is a 4+4 that won’t plug into the power supply. If I turn it around it won’t split into the proper configuration I’m thinking. What am I doing wrong?

Is it possible to post pictures here? Might be easier to show than explain.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Hard to tell on the dark gray plug with a right angle. You can try posting the picture on a free image hosting site (like imgur).

In reference to power cables, please look at the Motherboard Layout in your mobo manual (page 7), and then:

1) Plug the 24-pin power cable from the PSU (24pin ATX) into the 24-pin ATX power connector (#10 on the diagram, middle-right of mobo)

2) Plug the 8-pin EPS power cable from the PSU (4+4 CPU) into the 8-pin CPU power connector (#9 on the diagram, top-right of mobo).

Will need your parts list, please, to better inform about the rest of the power connections you'll need to make (SATA power for SSDs/HDDs, PCI-e power to GPU if needed, etc).

Here's a video (with a different PSU) but it shows all the basics for plugging in power: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqUNo7oF6w

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I figured out the power issue. My own stupidity. Still not sure on the plug. It’s not a U.2, though my board supports that. I believe it’s a 3.1 cable which the 399 does not have a connector for.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, it is indeed a 3.1 front panel cable. While the MB has a rear panel 3.1, it does not have a header for it. I’ve searched and see only one company out of the UK that offers an add on header. Oh well, guess it won’t get used.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube