add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
cramstr

11 months ago

So I've been having many crashes for the past few weeks in every game that I play, like Overwatch, Apex Legends, and TF2.

I've tried everything, like using sfc /scannow, dism, and chkdsk. I've updated my OS and all drivers to the newest versions. I've tried reinstalling Windows, resetting the CMOS, and pretty much everything else software-related. All my hardware is not overclocked, and I turned off the XMP profile for RAM (running at 2133).

I am using a Ryzen 5 2600 on a Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming, running on the f23d BIOS.

As a last resort, I'm thinking of updating my BIOS. People say that it's risky, as a wrong move can tank your whole system. However, I feel that at this point I have tried everything, so if this doesn't work then I would know for sure that it's a hardware issue.

So how do I flash BIOS? I just know that I can use the Q flash, but how do I keep a saved copy of my current BIOS so that I can return to a safe point if something goes wrong? Also, on the Gigabyte website, it says that the latest F25 BIOS needs to have the latest AMD chipset driver (18.10.20.02), however I cannot find that specific chipset driver on Gigabyte's, or AMD's website...

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

but how do I keep a saved copy of my current BIOS so that I can return to a safe point if something goes wrong?

Your motherboard has what Gigabyte likes to call DualBIOS, which already has a second copy of the factory version of your BIOS on it, and it'll just switch over automatically if anything goes wrong. Honestly I don't think things will actually go wrong though, unless you have a power outage in the middle of an update. Worst case scenario though, it'll use that backup BIOS chip to recover itself.

Also, on the Gigabyte website, it says that the latest F25 BIOS needs to have the latest AMD chipset driver (18.10.20.02), however I cannot find that specific chipset driver on Gigabyte's, or AMD's website...

From what I'm reading, it's actually 17.12, because there's a difference between the driver version and the package version or something weird. It does say "or latest driver" though so I think you should be fine if you've updated to the latest drivers from AMD's site.

Also I'd say to run Memtest86 or run some stress tests off a live USB (even just an average Linux desktop distro will do), just to catch anything weird going on in a way that's isolated from the rest of your software. Sounds like the crashes are only occuring under load...

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay thanks, sounds good. Ill do the Memtest for a couple hours, and Ill come back with results.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube