add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Im dumb, mobo caught on fire, what did i do wrong

NotLaren

11 months ago

so ya, bought a corsair LL120 rbg fan. didnt have an rgb hub, tried plugging the rgb into mobo header labelled LED_CPU. checked the manual which said you could either plug a cpu led or rbg strip into it. turned the machine on and the tiny capacitor to the right of where i plugged it in started smoking and a flame burst up. i immediately cut the power and was like "yuuuup". the computer is fine aside from that tiny part of the mobo is burnt. so can someone tell me why im a moron and need to research more before plugging random things in? like i checked to make sure had the 12v pins lined up. my guesses are 1. that header if for something completely different and im stupid 2. the LL120 needs the rbg hub or 3. the mobo or fan are defective and it should have worked and im absolved from feeling like i dont deserve to have a working computer right now. ty in advance for going easy on my noob ***

edit: mobo is the X470 Aurous Ultra Gaming

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

Corsair uses its own RGB eco system. For LL120 you are supposed to start with the set that contains 3 LL120 fans and all the controllers needed to make it work.

To make things worse you've plugged a 5V addressable LED fan to a 12V RGB non-addressable header. You need to be careful with RGB stuff. There are 12V LEDs and 5V LEDs and companies like Corsair and NZXT use their own RGB ecosystem that usually requires the use of their RGB controllers.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the info. This mobo actually has pin selectors to choose between 12v and 5v. Could that mean all I need to do it set it to 5v and it would work? Is it it being addressable also an issue?

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

5V RGB is usually a indicator for addressable LED lights, but your LL120 fan (despite being 5V addressable) will require a Corsair RGB Hub and a Corsair Lightning Node to make it work.

The 5V addressable LEDs that are compatible with some mainboards use a different standard (Aura-Sync) and you should not be able to control a LL120 fan's RGB from a regular addressable RGB connector on your mainboard.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Understood. Thanks a bunch for explaining that.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Don't know what to tell you. Some people don't read or follow the instructions. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it bites them in the ***. In your case, it sounds like you got off easy.

Your mistake was not following the instructions. The manual said you could connect a CPU LED or RGB strip to that connector. That means those are your only options. A fan is not one of the options, so you shouldn't have tried that. It doesn't really matter if you get the pins lined up. LEDs are solid-state components. A fan is an electric motor. They have different power needs.

At least you knew enough to check the manual. You just need to follow it better.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

hey, just to clarify i was plugging the RBG component of the fan into that hub. i wasnt plugging the fan itself into it. the fan i plugged into the sys_fan header. im very confused what the led_cpu header is even for? in my mind i thought it would work since a cpu cooler with an rbg component on it should b similar to just a case fan with rbg. i did get off very easy, you are very right

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Okay, then it's not the problem I thought it was. I didn't read your original post carefully enough. Sorry about that.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

no worries. thanx for the insight regardless

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm just glad I didn't call you stupid while I was being stupid myself. I don't need the cringe. ;)

btw, I just watched a video about installing the Corsair LL fans. It looks like these fans need the fan hub. Pretty complicated setup, and the video says that the Corsair manual doesn't explain it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsUpFGbMxbg

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

word, it would have been pretty stupid if i had done what u were stating :) thanks for the link. ya def more complicated than the light strip, and more expensive, i honestly just needed a third fan lol rgb is dumb. still its my fault for not being 100% sure that was the right place to plug this particular component. learning experience. pebcak.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Not all motherboards have the same layout for the rgb header.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

what does that meannn? this motherboard actually has like 3 or 4 rbg headers. this one was just closest to the rear fan. another is being used by a light strip and works fine

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

No i mean the configuration of the voltage outputs on the rgb header is different between mobo manufactures.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah word. Ya good point. Ty

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube