add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need FreeNAS build CPU suggestions

truthfulie

69 months ago

I am planning to build a small form-factor quite FreeNAS machine. Primary use will be storing Lightroom photo files (catalog file is stored on internal SSD of my machine.), iTunes media and Plex Media Server and using it as CrashPlan backup destination. I am set on most of the parts but can't decide what kind of CPU I want or need. I definitely want to go with Haswell based system for low power consumption. The only task that will utilize CPU heavily is probably Plex transcoding. Two 1080p transcoding at once will be a frequent task. Will Celeron or i3 be able to handle this and keep up without stutters and keep up file transfers without issue?

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

You can have a p4 and the nas would work without lag. It comes down to network not cpu. So I'd get the cheapest cpu you can find.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

network and ram. free nas is very ram intensive

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I suggest maybe getting an embedded motherboard they are much cheaper and usually have the connections you need, that was something I was looking at for my freenas setup

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube