add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5 6600k + GTX 1070 low fps in games - I need your help with my PC.

PLB_0
  • 12 months ago

First of all, my specs: CPU: Intel i5 6600k (stock) Cooling: Bequiet Silent Loop 120 AIO Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400 MHz (CMK16GX4M2A2400C14) GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX1070 8GB GAMING (didn't overclock) SSD: Kingston HyperX Predator SSD M.2 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: Corsair RM650x

Second, my problem: Now don't think I didn't look for a solution already because I have. I'm even considering (more like already decided) buying a new PC. So I have noticed, by watching some YouTube videos, that my config does not gain as much FPS in games as it should. For example, The Witcher 3 - on YouTube, a guy with the same CPU and GPU as mine gets around 65-75 FPS while I get 40-45 max. No matter the settings (low or ultra), the FPS stays the same (plus or minus 5 fps). Also Fortnite runs at 60-ish FPS at medium to low settings, MINECRAFT stutters like hell and runs at 30 fps when I set the render distance above 10. I have monitored my GPU and CPU temps while playing those games (GPU gets to a max of 72C and CPU never passed 58C), and their frequency (both run at speeds described in their specs). The only problem I see is that during gameplay, my GPU utilization is around 50% while that guy on YouTube with his Witcher video stays at 99%. If there's anyone with any idea about what to do, I am most grateful to you.

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure the GPU is slotted in correctly, power cables are all plugged in, and the monitor is plugged into the GPU?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

In addition to watching your usage, are you able to view the clocks on both your CPU and GPU? Wondering if one is down-clocking for some reason. When I had my 750Ti, and I was tinkering with OC'ing, if I pushed it too far the GPU clock would stay at something like 450Mhz.

Note - If there is that big of a utilization difference, it means something is eating up your CPU capacity. Are there any other programs that may be eating up resources?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

"frequency (both run at speeds described in their specs)." he checked that. 1. are you running at the same resolution as the video. 2. are you using a graphics preset (just for consistency sake) 3. check the ports like NightTrook Recommended 4. check the wires for the PSU 5. i have run out of helpful advice 6. remembered that sometimes you need to go into your Nvidia control panel and swap to your dedicated GPU (just google it, it's a common issue)

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Shoot, missed that part!

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

changing to the dedicated GPU increased my frames by like 20 so that's probly what's wrong

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I still believe double checking background processes is worth it. Unless all of his games are saturating all 4 cores, he/she shouldn't be seeing utilization at 99% all the time.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

^ true but considering he told us what percentage of his GPU is being used, i woulda hopped he would have checked task manager before posting

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube