add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

computer turns on, but does not boot

dimm0k
  • 11 months ago

I have had the Asus - X99-DELUXE II ATX motherboard for about 3 years now, been running fine dual booting between Windows 10 and Linux. it wasn't until this morning when I had forgotten my Linux login password that resulted me in rebooting my machine. this is pretty much what launched the massive **** that hit the fan. turning the machine back on allowed me to get to the dual boot menu where I was able to do this 3 times, 2x selecting the newest boot kernel I had been using for a few months now and 1x selecting an older boot kernel to try. all 3 times resulted in some LZMA error, which I neglected to write down thinking I could either bring it up again or everything would fix itself next. no way out of this error since it halted the system so a reboot was required each time. unfortunately what happened next lead me here. the system turns on, but the monitors never wake up to show the BIOS screen or the boot up. any suggestions?

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

system specs (CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, PSU)?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

sorry, not receiving any notifications for this forum... to answer your question, the specs are as follows:

• Intel - Core i7-6850K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • Corsair - Vengeance LED 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • EVGA - GeForce GTX 780 3 GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card
  • Corsair - 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

to add, I've been running my RAM at 3200MHz and now that I've been doing some research I see that my CPU is only rated for 2400/2133. that said, whenever I bump it to 3200MHz the system is unstable. going to 2666MHz seems to be more solid with no issues so far... this seems to be the culprit, but any idea why it would start failing now even if it was rated for that high?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I've had that twice in last few years it was bad stick of memory both times, no boot just the PSU runs. Try pulling a stick out then the other (assuming it will run on one stick). Sure OC could make it worse, or it needs reseating, or its not the memory. Try reseating memory, Pci cards, HDD plugs, MB power plug also. Pull anything you don't need like USB stuff, extra cards, etc. Its worth a try.

Last time it was a refurb machine that had run for a few years and one stick out of 4 just quit, at stock speeds intel. Ran fine without that one, so bought 1gb one for it. Later bought 4x2gb max and now just upgraded to SSD and big cpu its doing great for an old beast. Just a web surfer. I don't know why memory would go bad other than heat, or something else in the system is affecting the MB controller, or your PSU has changed voltage is my best guesses.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube