add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build- MORE issues

TiHa
  • 12 months ago

ORIGINAL POST https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/311121-first-build-motherboard-has-red-light-and-pc-will-not-boot:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zxdpkd

This is my first build. After I set everything up it would not boot. The CPU cooler fan spins for a few seconds then shuts off then restarts. The fans in the case do not spin. A bunch of red lights switch on the backside of the motherboard shortly after turning it on. There are 4 small LED lights marked CPU, Dram, VGA, Boot; the red light will flicker between CPU and Dram but will settle on CPU. I have taken apart the build so that only the 24 pin and 8 pin are connected to the PSU, but it still has the same issue. I'm pretty sure I installed the CPU correctly so is this issue a malfunctioning motherboard? I'd rather not have to return it but I'm not sure what my alternatives are at this point. I appreciate any and all help, thanks.

Edit: I think a couple pins are bent. I'm going to try straightening them.

Edit 2: I straightened the pins but the problem is the same.

THE SOLUTION I TRIED:

"Remove everything but the CPU and cooler, 1 stick of memory , reset CMOS and try to boot into BIOS." -Zerk2012

THE SITUATION NOW:

So, I think I may have reset the CMOS too many times. I was able to get into BIOS with all of my parts connected except for the gpu. Whenever I would try with the gpu it was unable to connect with my monitor. I tried disabling the integrated graphics card through the bios several times and would reset the CMOS everytime I did. Suddenly the motherboard's CPU_Led came on and remained steady. The PC would power on, stop, come on, stop, and repeat at irregular interviews. Now, nothing worked to get into BIOS. I once again tried just the CPU and one stick of memory but nothing worked. I tried following the directions here: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-messed-up-powered-on-while-cmos-jumper-set-to-clear.141474/ and still it doesn't work. I'm not sure what happened and how to fix it now...please help....

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

A bent pin on the motherboard could ruin everything (especially given how cpu is there error). You can try to "straighten" them, but whether or not they are straight enough/ pop up enough for contact is not something you can guarantee when you manually do it. So see if you can get a rma with gigabyte (They'll most likely fix it for you. I know they took in my motherboard when it had audio issues and they fixed a broken pin on my usb header).

As for the CMOS, after you change a setting in the bios DO NOT clear it (unless if necessary). Basically, you disabled the integrated graphics, but then when you reset the CMOS, the bios got reset and the integrated graphics got enabled again. Another tip, I personally suggest you never disabled the integrated graphics. The reason I say this is because if something happens to your graphics card, you'll never get a signal to the monitor unless you buy another new graphics card (cause the integrated outputs are disabled).

But regarding the gpu, it's very possible all you had to do was install the drivers, and that could have fixed the issue.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I think that may have triggered the issue because the issue happened after I disabled the integrated graphics and reset CMOS. Is there a way to fix this?

Also, how can I install the drivers if the GPU plugged in causes the system to be unable to connect with the monitor? Should I install the drivers first then connect the GPU?

Edit: I unplugged EVERYTHING except the 24 pin and power switch to the motherboard, I even took out the CPU, and it still reads CPU_Led red light and turns on and off irregularly. So, no changes even down to the barest components.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

If you have already done these before, then let me know. I didn't get a chance to read the other thread you posted so my understanding of where you are, all the things you've done is a bit limited.

Personally, unplug everything, and take out that battery. This is just to let the cmos reset completely and just to let the system refresh.

Next, put in the typical stuff. Cpu, cooler, 1 stick ram, and psu. Connect the monitor to the motherboard hdmi/ dvi. You will be using the integrated graphics for now (if you can post, this is how you will install the graphic drivers as well, with the integrated graphics).

Turn on and see if you can get a post of any sort. Also, if you don't have a cpu inthe slot, then you will (most likely) have a cpu error. You can post a system without gpu and storage, but a cpu, ram, psu, and motherboard are needed.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I've tried with just CPU and 1 stick of ram and get the same result. I don't know why it would suddenly malfunction but I'm starting to think it's the motherboard. I contacted product support and they suggested the below:

06:42 AM PST Charles: Can you unplug the power cable from the computer, then put the CPU back, remove the CMOS battery, press the power button for 10 seconds, Then look for the CMOS jumper

06:44 AM PST Charles: The CMOS jumper is at the bottom right of the board Are you still there Timothy?

06:45 AM PST Timothy : I'm sorry so I have to unplug the power completely? I know where the CMOS jumper is

06:45 AM PST Charles: Just the power cable pelase please*

06:45 AM PST Timothy : the 24 pin?

06:45 AM PST Charles: No, the cable that goes to the PSU itself Like the AC adapter

06:46 AM PST Timothy : I see, so there will be no power in the motherboard except from the battery

06:46 AM PST Charles: Once you unplug the cable, put the CPU back please and remove the battery as well

06:46 AM PST Timothy : and which power button do I press for 10 seconds? The case power button?

06:46 AM PST Charles: Yes please

06:47 AM PST Timothy : Ok and what result am I looking for?

06:47 AM PST Charles: Right now we will just perform the steps above, once done, try to normally boot. If still you are unable to boot, the issue lies on the board itself and I'll take care of that for you

06:48 AM PST Timothy : Ok, I'm so sorry but I have to go now, but I will try that as soon as I am able to and proceed from there. Thank you for your assistance. Thank you.

I'm going to try this as soon as I get home and see where I stand from there.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, just get in touch with the gigabyte support. Try out what they say, and if nothing works, they'll rma it. That was the same process with me and my audio issues. They made me do a bunch of things, unfortunately, none of which worked, so I ended up getting a rma and sending it in. Probably will be a similar process for you.

Personally, I feel like it definitely is a pin issue where there isn't adequate contact. But who knows, maybe it's something else. Best of luck with the issue, and if you need anything else/ have any other questions, let us know.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I'll be doing that most likely. I appreciate your input.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I got in touch with product support and I'm going to exchange my motherboard, CPU, GPU, and power supply. I'm pretty sure it's just the motherboard but my issues could have been any of those items so I figured might as well be safe and get them all replaced.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube