add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with several PCIe expansion slots. When the M.2 slot is populated with a PCIe M.2 drive, four PCIe expansion slots are disabled.

nikunj2002
  • 11 months ago

what does this mean on my MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC. this message popped up when i put a 970 EVo into the list im not sure exactly what it means

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

bottom line is that this is a normal message.

There are 2x M.2 slots on this motherboard, and they share resources (we call PCIe lanes) with other slots on the motherboard. And if an M.2 drive is using them, then other slots must be disabled/turned off at the same time.

So this motherboard has 2x M.2 slots labeled M.2_1 and M.2_2 respectively.

If you put an M.2 drive in slot M.2_2 (slot near the bottom right corner of the mobo), then that will disable the following PCI-e slots: PCI_E2, PCI_E3, , PCI_E4, and , PCI_E5. This is usually not a big deal since your GPU will usually be in PCI_E1.

Instead, if you put an M.2 drive in slot M.2_1 (just under the CPU), then this will disable SATA slots SATA5 and SATA6. This is usually not a big deal since you have 4 other SATA slots to use on this mobo to plug in SATA devices (2.5" SSDs or 2.5" or 3.5" HDDs). These are SATA1, SATA2, SATA3, and SATA4 ... so you can have 4 SATA devices running at the same time.

So chances are, you are good-to-go so long as you understand what ports get turned off when using M.2 .drives. I recommend plugging your M.2 drive into M.2_1 and plug any SATA devices in slots SATA1 through SATA4. GPU will be in PCI_E1 and this will allow you to use all your PCI_E ports now or in the future.

See page 33 of your mobo manual for the 2x M.2 slots labeled on the diagram.

Does this answer your question?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks this is exactly the explanation i was looking for

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Yw

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube