add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Buying USED?

n7girl

4 months ago

Thoughts? Experiences? Risks?

I'm building my first PC, so I'm curious what the general consensus will be. Would be really nice to save a bit on the build upfront, but I am not sure if it would be worth it.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Got my card! It was overclocked, but everything is smooth and stable so far =D

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

So I bought a used graphics card! I'll let you all know how it went once I get everything up an running. It was used for mining for four months and was advertised with "not a scratch on it, or money back" lol. Seller had 100% positive feedback from all their sales and they were quite descriptive in how they ran the cards.

Its a Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ 8GB -- I won the auction at $136.50 US and it comes with all the original packaging. So we'll see!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you received the card yet?

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Tracking says I should get it by tomorrow (the 6th) and it is the last piece I am waiting for. Soon we'll find out if any of my components work xD

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Got the card! It was overclocked, but came in good condition, and is running smooth so far!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad to hear!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

lol. I'll tell you next week. I just bought a used 1080ti that should arrive Monday. I bought from an individual on a hardware forum, not ebay fwiw. I've seen prices between $500 and $600 usd for 1080ti's.

I "needed" a 1080ti to drive my new monitor, a 100hz 3440x1440. I didn't want to pay for a 2080, so saved a few $$ (not that much really) for a 1080ti.

A lot of these may have been used for mining and/or folding at home, etc. So you'll just need to ask the seller what environment they were used in and then it is down to what you are comfortable with. Plus some manufacturers allow transferable warranties (EVGA) but I don't know all the ins and outs of that.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha you'll have to let us know! Good luck. Thanks!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I did receive my used card today. It looks in great condition...but, I won't be able to install it for a day or 2. I need to take my PC outside or into my garage and blow out the dust before installing my new power supply and the 1080ti. But....it is only 22 degrees here today! Don't get me wrong, I want to install it badly...but 22 degrees and me do not agree!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Update. I did get my card installed last Wednesday. It is doing just great. And it was an EVGA so I contacted them and they confirmed it is under warranty until Jan. 2021. So I'm happy with it. Did I save that much money over a 2080? $100 or so, so in the scheme of things, no, not really. But I don't need the raytracing or whatever. On the forum I purchased from, some 1080ti's are priced even lower than what I paid, so it just depends what they were used for.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I'm glad it worked out!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Go for it i buy a 1070ti yesterday « used » look line new with box and The original bag for 400canadian Dont worry buying used if its a trusted seller

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I've bought 2 different GPU's used from people on Gumtree (Australia buy and sell site) and I got a great deal on a GTX 1070 for $300 AUD (which is about $215 USD) and they stated that the GPU was used for roughly a year. This was about 5 months ago, and the card is still powering my system today.

I would buy used if you need too - but stay away from GPU's that have been used for mining. This puts the card at 100% usage with 100% fan speed the majority of the time, which greatly decreases the life span of the GPU.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I'm pretty much looking for what is was used for. And whether they overclocked it.

Thanks!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Uh what?

Mining doesn't harm a GPU at all

If anything gaming will do more harm, power cycles kill not a constant load

Fans can be replaced and rated to thousands of hours

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard this argument too haha. That's what makes it such an interested topic

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are worried about buying used you can always stick with Evga, they allow the warranty to follow the Gpu so if the original owner only had it for a year you will get those 2 years of warranty (3 total years). One thing to note is bstock evga cards (refurbished cards from evga directly) don't transfer and for second hand users (anyone who buys used) the warranty starts from when it leaves the factory. If you are worried about the warranty length just ask the seller for the S/n and send a email to evga asking about the length, ive done this multiple times and they usually get back within the day. I bought a used evga 980ti two weeks ago and have had no problems with also the option of warranty cause mine still had some left. Just feel out the seller and make sure they are not trying to scam you or pull anything weird and you shouldn't have any problems.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That's great information. Thank you!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Used 570s and 580s are cheap enough that you can get a year of more out of them for a 1080p display.

Hell, 570s are $150 new if you keep an eye on slickdeals.net.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thought I'd never buy used, but didn't want to spend over 800 on a 2080 when I could buy a 1050ti sc2 for 550 used. So I went on ebay and made sure it was a card that had 30 day return policy.

It wasn't in the best shape, despite the description and user feedback. But I couldn't blame seller really since I had to wait for other parts to arrive before putting together and testing out. It seemed to be running warmer than it should have but a good cleaning and reapplying thermal paste did the trick.

Won't buy used again though unless I'm absolutely broke and if GPU prices remain a joke.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It's my first time building, so the troubleshooting does worry me lol. Thank god for youtube xD

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Bought a used GTX 1060 6gb card when the prices for GPU's were just starting to go insain (Summer 2017 $200). Its been overclocked pretty much from that day on and have zero issues. I've been currently looking to replace this 1060 with either a 1070 ti or 1080. Ive also bought used CPU's and RAM. The only thing ive never bought used were motherboards and hard drives.

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Some people are not trustworthy. They can sell you a card that will die out in a month after purchase.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube