add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trying to reduce multitask lagging with discord + game

KarlK79
  • 11 months ago

So recently I noticed discord seems super laggy while chatting. In addition, my games seem to get slowed down when I'm in a party with other people chatting. I'm thinking I need to upgrade a component to reduce the buggyness of my setup:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/KarlK79/saved/dYYzMp

I think my cpu Ryzen 3 1300x is just getting overwhelmed/bottle-necked with everything as it runs near 100% all the time when I open a second window for discord/party chat. My SSD and HDD are also getting full...

I OC my CPU to 3.8ghz and that seemed to help + cleaned my desktop from trash files and other stuff using CCleaner. Everything is usable, but to get everything to a nice smooth performance in the future what should I consider upgrading? I think RAM at 16GB is fine, maybe get a better CPU and cooler with it to jump up performance.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Disable some startup tasks, maybe you have something else utilizing your CPU. You really shouldn't be having this issue at all while playing games.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up doing that before OC to 3.8ghz, looks like its better. I don't recall having this issue last time I disabled some startup/ongoing tasks, but not sure. I don't run super CPU intense games so can't imagine why this is occurring...

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Run something like HWMonitor when you play a game and chat and also keep an eye on those temps. What games are you playing? HWMonitor also has a usage % after every component so you can see if you're being bottlenecked (you shouldn't be) also are you on latest Nvidia drivers?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

if your just running discord and the game it really shouldn't be stuttering, my old PC doesn't have this problem and it's like 2.6 Ghz 16GB ram is fine. you should check to see if anything is running in the background.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems more like Audio cutout than stuttering, Very intermittent in the background while playing. Seems fine now after tweaking startup again, and OC to 3.8 so idk :)

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

it could honestly be Wi-Fi related, could also be game related, can you say what's running the CPU at 100%? because windows does run a process that makes it so no cores on your CPU are not being used (no idea why but it's probly to stop them from going idle for a reason) https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000729.htm

if it's not either then i have no idea D:

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube