add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Computer help with linux

steelropes
  • 11 months ago

Hey. This will take a little bit of time to explain so bear with me.

I have a pretty beastly computer, I bought it for a purpose but I didn't end up using it for that purpose.

Here are the specs:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KyjHzY

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600x Six core Graphcis: NVIDIA GEforce GTX 1060 3GB HD/SSD: Samsung 960 EVO SSD 500GB cooler: H100i liquid cooler RAM: Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 (or the version which was compatible with my mobo) Mobo: Crosshair VI HERO Case: Corsair - 750D Airflow Edition ATX Full Tower Case Power supply: HX1000i

I am currently running windows. I am wondering if I could put linux as the main operating system on my computer, the reason I ask this is because of the Software that comes with my motherboard, as well as the iCUE (Corsair utility engine) and the NVIDIA drivers.

My liquid cooler doesn't work without iCUE downloaded. Also, wondering about all those drivers from the motherboard cds.

Another problem unrelated is that the motherboard only has one slot for USB and the case has two plugs, one for USB 3.0 and one for USB 2.0, so i have the 3.0 plugged in which is fine, except only one of the case USB 3.0's work. annoying as ****.

Tl;dr Thinking about running linux on my main pc but worried about drivers and my liquid cooler functioning.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

There is a community Linux version of iCUE. Not sure if it will work with AIO coolers but here it is if you're interested. NVIDIA drivers should be installed by default on all Linux distros with installers (i.e. not Arch and Gentoo). You will have to familiarize yourself with xrandr for changing video settings. Also they do make adapters for internal USB ports.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube