add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC running really slow

ziedonis

11 months ago

I was hoping to use this computer for web surfing and stuff but its way to slow, youtube videos stutter really badly. I have all the updates and i ran ccleaner but it didnt make much of a difference. Any tips on what should i do to make it faster?

PC specs: Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit SP1, Pentium 4 2.66 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX5200

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

um, that 1.5GB Ram is pretty limiting along with the 32 bit D: i have no idea if that CPU is bad, (the GPU shouldn't matter that much) so i think you might need more ram

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

Pentium 4 2.66GHz

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time...

As time marches on, webpages are running more scripts and advanced features that will eat up more RAM and processing power. PCs of yester-yester-yester-year aren't able to handle it and it's only going to get worse especially with multimedia sites like Youtube, Netflix, etc..

A 17 year old PC running at all is incredible, the fact that yours is just now having issues is amazing, but I think it might be time to get something new.

EDIT: I trolled a few forums and found multiple threads circa 2012-2013 of people struggling to stream Youtube videos above 480p with Pentium 4s and equivalent AMD CPUs and that was 6-7 years ago, it's probably even worse now...

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

^^ agreed. My old AMD APU (A4-1200) can't play Youtube videos about 720p50. Sometimes, it will even stutter at 480p/360p.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I have an FX5200. get it outta that pc, it's junk. I'd recommend getting more ram and getting a better PGA478 CPU also a GPU. You're extremely hardware limited, best you can do is disable as many startup tasks as possible.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Might be an idea to wipe it clean and start with a fresh install of WIN. Then add the minimum you want to use ... just don't go nuts as your hardware is limited (memory especially). For WEB browsing, it should be fine. Even for youtube...

Don't expect to stream Netflix in 4K with on-the-fly transcoding though :)

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

My Advice is to get a PC that has a AMD 2200g with 8 GB ram which should let you easily run any website/youtube you want,

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

That PC setup is extremely slow/limiting. Pentium 4's are slow single-core processors, 1.5GB RAM is barely enough for web browsing, and a GeForce FX5200 is extremely slow (and only has 1/8GB of VRAM).

If you need something really cheap for web browsing, I have a $210 extreme budget PC in my saved part lists: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/LightningProd/saved/Hhzq4D (or, if you can spend $400: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rwKb9J would be twice as powerful)

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Your system is light on RAM.

Also what HDD do you have in the system?

As for what other people have said, the fx5200 (i have 1 also) is fine for basic stuff. Browsing the web, watching videos, playing music and office suites. Just don't expect to game with it, especially with any kind of recent game. I have a 20+ year old system, amongst my various systems, that uses a fx5200, a celeron 800Mhz CPU and I can surf the web, watch videos, play music and type the occasional letter on it no problem and it has less RAM than you do (512MB to be exact). Personally I cannot really understand why you would put a reasonably new OS on an old PC and this my be a big part of your issues. You should perhaps look into Linux Ubuntu with lutris, either way I would not be spending big money on an old PC, your best to look for a new PC. But I think your old PC could be very capable if you load it with the correct software.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

My HDD is SAMSUNG SP60A3H.

I installed windows 7 cause my ethernet port wasn`t working and the adapter that i bought only worked with windows 7 and up. :D i guess im kinda screwed

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I cant see it not working with Ubuntu.... you can run Ubuntu from a USB flash drive as a live disk and trial the software before you install it, just to see if it works for your system.

Whats your adapter model?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

ThinkPad USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter

I connected an HDD with windows xp on it and it ran 10x faster, but now i dont have a internet connection. -_-

I guess it does make sense that old hardware would be unable to run a newer operating system.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats why I suggested Linux, you can get any number of Linux distro's that'll run on old hardware and will do everything you want... the only disadvantage is that it's a new GUI to learn how to use for those people who have only ever used Windows. The biggest advantage to Ubuntu is that it's free and there's a huge client base available online in the forums if you need help.

Just download an ISO for Ubuntu and use the Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.7.8.exe to setup a USB flash drive with the ISO. Boot from the USB flash drive and take a look at how it runs on your system. You don't have to install, but can if you wish.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I will try it. Thank you. :}

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube