add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

will a core 2 quad bottleneck a 770? or 760?

AncientEra

69 months ago

i have a core 2 quad q8200 and want to uprgrade my gpu but do you think it will bottleneck a higher end card? (without an overclock) i ddont know if i really want to buy an aftermarket cooler..

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

This is just a guess; I don't know this for a fact.

First of all, I don't think you'll have much luck overclocking the C2Q Q8200. Second of all, yes, that CPU will bottleneck those cards under some circumstances. Under many other circumstances, no it won't. It will very much depend on how much the program in question is asking from the CPU - there are lots of games out there which are not CPU-intensive at all.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it depends a lot on the game you're playing. If the game is not very taxing on the CPU, it will not bottleneck anything. If you're playing a very CPU intensive game, the CPU will hit the wall before a high end GPU.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

like what was mentioned some games require more cpu horsepower than others I would worry about this to much since the number of those games is very small and the performance hit you take is only a few fps anyways. with things like mantle/dx12 <--- coming out in late 2015, we will see no need for high end cpu's on game only build

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Beta drive 337.50 is NVIDIA's version of mantle. It cuts a lot of the CPU usage. Id think you'd be fine with a C2Q with that GPU.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

i am using this driver as we speak and it has definitely shown improvement for me, have found no bugs in it yet if it being beta is a concern to anyone.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you using a GTX 770? What are you FPS in BF4? (Thats if you own the game) I'm interested

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

i have 660ti, i only play MWOmercs which is a massively cpu hungry game.. this beta driver has me at an avg of 45-58 fps according to fraps on max settings except for shadows at high.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube