add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to connect 3 Noctua NF A12x25 Fan to one mobo header?

mhweb

6 months ago

If I was going to buy 3 Noctua NF A12x25 Fans to a radiator, how to do I connect these fans to only one fan header in the motherboard? I'm currently using the enermax liquitech tr4 2 and one of the fans includes an splitter to connect the 3 fans together, but each Noctua fans come with one splitter for 2 fans, so how do i connect 3 fans to one fan header?

Thanks,

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

If they are the 4-pin PWM version get a powered PWM fan hub so they can be properly controlled.

If they are the three pin splitters may work but depending on the board you can overdraw the header using three fans and burn it out or undersupply the fans with power and they don't cool properly.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Since these are PWM fans, I would use something, like the EK-Cable Splitter 4-Fan PWM Extended.

The point is (as Gilroar) already mentioned, that you don't want all 3 fans being powered by the same motherboard connector as they could overload it. The above example of PWM cable splitter only takes the PWM signal and returns the tachometer to the motherboard connector. The power comes from an external source (MOLEX connector), that can take more load than the motherboard's fan connector.

This allows all of these fans to be controlled by the same motherboard connector. If you have more fans (e.g. 2 - 3 radiators all having their own set of fans) and you want them all to have the same speed, then a fan controller would be a better option. Or, there are cable splitters with an external source that can support way more than 3-4 fans (e.g. 10).

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

You should not do three fans on a single header.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as I can tell from the X399 ASRock Taichi motherboard the CPU_FAN1 is rated for 1 AMP and the Noctua fans are rated max current of 0,14 AMP.

From the mobo manual: "The CPU Fan Connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12W) fan power. "

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube