add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC Crashing Again

winona78
  • 11 months ago

I have had some trouble again with BFV lately. I can make it through about two games and then poof, it safety shuts off. I thought it was CPU temp related, so I enabled so I could see it while I play. It never exceeded 70C, so I don't think it is CPU safety related. This PC is not overclocked, minus the ram being pushed to 3333MHz while it is rated for 3200MHz. The error in event viewer is "Event ID 41, Kernal-Power". I have to unplug the power cable from the PSU and re-plug it in to restart.

Any other things that can cause this? I have only had the issue in BFV.

Thanks!

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I had this issue and my power supply was on its way out. Just having the PC on, browsing the internet and doing some work stuff on it didn’t trigger the system shutdown/restart, only when playing a game is when I had the issue. Have you tried any other game since you started having this issue? Also my ram was not over clocked so maybe you could get those back to stock frequencies and see if you still run into the same issue.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Whats your full parts list?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm thinking your PSU may be having issues (especially since you have to physically unplug it to restart).

As legomaster has already asked, what's your parts list, and how long have you had this computer?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate the responses!

@Jem07/Thunder I also thought the same thing about the PSU being the culprit as this build far exceeds my original, but I am using the same PSU. The only other game I have played on this build is rocket league so of course it's not on the same level with other intensive games.

Original Build (that never had issues) - RX 580 - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2400MHz 2x8GB - B350 Tomahawk - EVGA 600W Bronze+ PSU - 1500X (later upgraded to 2700X on this same build)

Current Build - RTX 2080 - G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 2x8GB - B350 Tomahawk - EVGA 600W Bronze+ PSU - 2700X

I also now have the Alienware 1440P 34" Ultrawide so it is being utilized to the max on Ultra settings.

I did check and this PSU should be capable of this system. The PSU was bought just under 2 years ago.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

odd, but it does sound (if i'm piecing it together right) that your PSU is failing to keep up/switching a breaking whenever you draw alot of Watts (such as playing a game) try an alternate PSU (if you can),

could also be the motherboard being unable to keep up with the 2700x and RTX 2080, although more unlikely

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Fancy. I think I'm just going to end up buying a new one as this model has very limited outputs. It will allow for better cable management as well.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

new one of what ;D PSU? you could try your warranty, they tend to be pretty long, (mostly because PSUs tend to be reliable, it could honestly be a wire coming out of a slot)

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

A new PSU. I planned on upgrading the rest of the components besides what was listed above.

I will check the connections as well, including on the motherboard.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube