add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build, everything working fantastic, but receive "CPU fan error" on boot

Bushmatic
  • 11 months ago

I finished my first build last week and it has been nothing but fantastic so far. A couple of blue screens but messing around in the BIOS fixed that. I'm still gettting "CPU fan error" whenever I turn on my computer, although there is really no indication anything is wrong beyond this one error. My BIOS still reports my CPU temperature just fine (hasn't even breached 35 degrees yet), I can see my CPU fan RPM's just fine, they seem to scale with CPU load just fine--everything is seriously fine as far as I can tell.

The only thing I can think that would be causing this is that my case (Fractal Design Define R6) comes with a "fan hub," Instead of connecting your CPU fan to the motherboard, you connect your CPU fan to this hub, and the hub then connects to the CPU fan slot on the motherboard. Then all other fans in the case can be connected to this hub and controlled through that. The hub receives power from a SATA cable. It's actually super convenient. I've never seen mention of a fan hub like this in any review video, build walkthrough, case overview, or anything else so I don't know a lot about them beyond their intended purpose. I followed my case's instruction manual very carefully when plugging things into this hub and every fan is working fine, so that shouldn't be the issue.

My full build is below. Any way to get rid of this error? Would like a clean startup without the brief error screen.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased For $309.99
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For $79.90
Motherboard Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $161.89 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory Purchased For $174.99
Storage Intel - 545s 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $84.89
Storage Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $72.89
Video Card Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Video Card Purchased For $594.09
Case Fractal Design - Define R6 Gunmetal TG ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $119.99
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $109.99
Optical Drive Pioneer - BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $73.90
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For $109.99
Mouse Logitech - G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $79.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1992.50
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1972.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-11 11:47 EDT-0400

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

That error means that you plugged the cpu fan into the wrong fan header, so the motherboard doesn't think that you have a cpu fan at all. There should be a fan header on the top of the motherboard (sometimes it is hidden behind the vrm heatsink) that is labled "cpu_fan" and one that is labled "cpu_opt". Make sure that at least one fan is plugged into the "cpu_fan" header.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

What if the CPU fan RPM's are showing up in the BIOS in the right spot? It still thinks there's no CPU fan? And on my board I remember there being like CPU_fan1 and CPU_fan2, and I believe I used fan1 because the manual didn't specify beyond "here are the CPU fan headers."

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

did you try what he said? and still having issues? because what you've said isn't clear

because if it still thinks you have no CPU Fan try the other port ;D

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

if it is showing up in the bios as cpu fan than idk what is happening. Sometimes you can just hit f1 to continue...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube