add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HDD not working after new PSU

winona78

11 months ago

If it isn't one thing with this computer it's another. I just upgraded my 600W EVGA PSU to the 750W Corsair RM750x. I have one SSD and one HDD that I was using on my set up. The SSD boots and still works, but after re-connecting the HDD, it is not even detected in the bios. I have tried to use the same cables that work with the SSD but it still doesn't show up. Is there anyway to check if this is or isn't dead?

I'm assuming it is a goner but any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

It might be a bad cable on the PSU

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried using a different sata port it could be that that one is broken.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately, both cables that came with the PSU work on the SSD. As for the SATA port, I also tried that with no luck.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

How about just connecting the HDD and checking to see if it shows up in the BIOS?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Tried that as well and nothing. Didn’t matter which power cable or port cable I used :/

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Try a USB to HDD adapter, I have an earlier version of the same brand.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Didn't even think of this. I bought one of these so I will report back when it arrives.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

i mean that would grantee that the fault is with the drive, not the Sata port or cable

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed. Well worth the $20 investment.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Dead HDD, bad cable, bad sata port...

Most likely one of these

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube