add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Getting static/black screen when plugging into tv

Leugi101
  • 11 months ago

PC components:

CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Deepcool - GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill - Aegis 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory G.Skill - Aegis 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage ADATA - Ultimate SU650 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card
XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Edition OC+ Video Card

Case
Rosewill - TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

TV
LG 65uj6300

I am trying to connect my pc with an hdmi cable to my 4k tv but occasionally the screen will go static then black and back and forth until there is no connection. Any ideas what can cause this? I have tried to switch cables, outlets and changing the GPU settings by changing the power to 50% and lowering the settings. It always happens when I am trying to play a game at 4k resolution.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

This seems like an issue with the GPU not being designed for 4k. Does this happen to the TV when you are using it for other tasks or with other devices connected?

Does it go static immediately upon connection, or in a game? If it happens in game does it happen immediately or after a little bit?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

It only happens with the pc. I have used the tv with a ps4 pro and it doesn't happen. The static happens randomly, but it will happen 100% if I play certain games on 4k but not immediately. I wasn't aware that certain gpus where not able to display certain resolution, I thought that it would just lower my fps. Anyways, any help is appreciated. Moreover, it happens when I try to exit games as well.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

GPUs will have a max resolution which is in reference to the desktop max resolution. For gaming, it can cause instability if you try to push a game that is higher than the resolution the card is made for.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

That seems odd. I can't find anywhere that mentions this. Oddly enough, I still have the same problem with 1080p when I exit games sometimes but it is not as often as 4k. I wonder if my PSU; 550W is too low so when the GPU tries to draw more power it can't.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

550 w for an RX 580 should be fine. It is fairly unlikely, but if it is happening on 1080p as well as 4k then it could be a bad memory chip on the card itself. Do you have any OC on the card? have you taken it apart or anything? It could also be an overheating issue that is causing instability.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

The rx 580 should be able to run 4k, like my fking 860m can run 4k, so I think that problem is for outdated GPU series, and 550w should be good for a rx 580

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube