add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Unclocking GPU for certain games. Underlying issue?

Careramel

11 months ago

Here is my PC build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Careramel/saved/JFvCyc

I built this beautiful PC back in September of last year. Its been working great but some games will cause my PC to crash unless I underclock my GPU. Out of the main games that I currently play, the only games that require an underclock are Anthem and Tacoma (Destiny 2 had the same issues but if I set the game to cap frames at 72 then I dont need to underclock). The underclock that I apply is -90 to the core clock and 80 for the power limit using MSI Afterburner.

Are there any ways I can stop this issue from occurring so that I can stop underclocking my GPU? In the grand scheme of things I guess it doesn't really matter. I dont think underclocking a GPU has any negative long term effects but it kinda sucks have spent money on a factory OC'd 1080ti when I have to underclock it anyway. Is there a problem with the GPU itself? Is my PSU not high enough?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I would contact EVGA about the issue. Their support team will help you out.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks ill try that!

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Good luck with support. I would either return the card or just add a bit more voltage to get it stable unless it's failing because of heat.

If it's heat then add more case fans or higher CFM fans.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

It sounds like a heat issue. How many case fans do you have and what is the configuration they are in? I was getting a similar issue on an RX 470 and it turned out that one of the thermal sensors had been damaged so it wasn't functioning.

Are your GPU fans set to auto? Can you set a custom fan curve for them? What temps are you hitting when you have it at factory and launch a game?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I have two intake in the front and one exhaust in the back. I believe that they are set to auto. I haven't mess with any GPU fan curves or anything so they should still be set on whatever the default is.

How would I go about setting a fan curve for them. How should it look like? I dont know if its an issue but I believe this GPU requires a 6 and an 8 pin connection. I didnt have a singlular cable that did that so I combined two cables from the PSU together and plugged them into the GPU.

I'm using CPUID HWMonitor and the GPU got up to 73 C. The "powers" value got up to 98 percent before crashing. The voltages stayed between 0.5 and 0.6. Hopefully that means something lol

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

You shouldn't have a single cable that provides power to both the 6 pin and 8 pin connection of the GPU. They should be two separate cables from the PSU.

You can set a custom curve if you use a program like MSI afterburner. That will also provide better gauge for temps and power draw. I don't use CPUID for most things so I don't know if the voltage is that the GPU is only getting .5 volts or if it is getting the stock voltage +.5.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube