add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I am confused if this is bad for me?

NARWHALS_3
  • 11 months ago

So I am wanting to build a new PC and this message is appearing. "The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled." I want to use a hard drive while also using an M.2 SSD but I don't know if I wont be able to use my Hard drive and an SSD at the same time. Here is my parts list, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/. Thanks!

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

I think this is your part list, yes?

It's not a problem. It is only a compatibility note to be aware about the M.2 Slot 1 will share bandwidth or disables two SATA 6GB ports from your motherboard.

I'll try to clarify it better. Reflecting from your motherboard's manual it says when installing an M.2 SSD to M.2_1 (Socket3) which operates in SATA or PCIE mode, your SATA6G_5 and SATA6G_6 ports will be disabled. However also keep in mind if install an M.2 device to M.2_2 (Socket3), the PCIe x16_1 will only performs as x8 and not x16. So I would highly recommend installing the M.2 SSD to M.2_1 (Socket3).

Nothing to worry about really. It was letting you know to be aware of what can happen to your first M.2 socket but doesn't mention your second M.2 socket probably because it's base upon a M.2 device and slows the performance with PCIeX16_1 which that PCIex16 slot is closest to the first M.2_1 (Socket3) and the AM4 Socket [where the CPU/CPU cooler is installed].

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you get an expensive motherboard that will occur

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on the size of the motherboard and what features it offers between what their M.2 sockets can and will do. Tight budget or not, it happens to most motherboards that do allow M.2 installation devices (SSDs too) but again some might offer better features or maybe one less disable to a SATA 6GB port or none at all when installed a M.2 SSD / PCIE SSD or some type of PCIE component.

And it's no surprise to me that two SATA 6GB ports are disabled (as this is sharing bandwidth if some M.2 SSD or M.2 device is installed to the M.2 socket) which this seems to be common with the ATX motherboards. Versus a MicroATX or an ITX motherboard can be sharing bandwidth and disables only one SATA port though best to double check the features to begin with as again some might offer better alternatives. And if it's enough SATA ports remaining for additional storage or other components in the future. Or may not matter too much if there was no intention to install four more storage or installing another M.2 component.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube