add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel i5 9400f $150 at Micro Center

Nullarc77

2 months ago

https://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=900324&utm_source=20190319_eNews_Bestsellers_R5245&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=R5245&MccGuid=947e8037-adcb-4b96-92dc-654af1416b36

It's basically an 8400 but with slightly better clock speeds and no iGPU. But it is cheaper and can be used with the $30 off when bought with a compatible motherboard.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Finally, a decently price intel chip.

• 2 months ago
  • -2 points

If you ignored it’s locked

With AMD not locking anything, I feel like Intel shouldn’t be given a pass

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

And yet for gaming this would outperform any AMD chip in it's price range even tho it's locked. It's turbo hits the max overclock of current AMD chips. The only advantage of AMD is if you do heavy multitasking or streaming while you play games. And you have better future upgrades on the AMD platform. But if you are the kind of person to just buy a CPU that runs well and rarely upgrade than this would be a great option unlocked or not.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

totally agree here, especially since its less than the ever-popular 2600. if you live near a microcenter, this might be a good choice.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Welp, I guess I'll try to overclock me athlon 200ge now.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, it wasn't suppose to be unlocked (IIRC)

But motherboards forgot that and would let you, so AMD allowed it (depends on the board)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Only downfall to this cpu is that it only have 6 processing threads as opposed to 12 in r5 2600

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

True but if you are just gaming this will probably beat an overclocked 2600 in most games. If you are gaming and streaming then the 2600 woukd be better but for just gaming this is a great CPU.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

agreed

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube