add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I believe my PSU got killed. Need detectives.

asianoodleman

11 months ago

Hello all, so recently my pc has shut off after about 40 minutes of brand new use, and wont turn back on. If anything the fans jerk a bit and the mobo lights up for a split second, far too fast to read the EZ DEBUG list. I just did the paper clip test on my psu and it is indeed killed. Now I wouldnt think it could be dead on arrival because it worked for 40 minutes. I am not sure if I got the wrong PSU or its taking too many watts or what so I came to see if any of you guys could help me solve this mystery. Thank you so much in advance!

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QgbCXP

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

it sounds like you had bad luck and got a DOA PSU, best way to go would be RMA

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

thats unfortunate, thank you man

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

i mean if you have access you could try using a voltmeter to try and see if it's working but other then that not much i can say, you know what part be broke, go get a replacement from the supplier since it sounds like you had just bought it.

the PSU you have is good enough, it should launch, having not enough Watts is shown in-game by stuttering underload. not by failing to launch. (even though it's old, PSU designs haven't gotten much better mostly due to there being a physical limited to how efficiently they can change DC to AC)

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I apparently bought one from 2015, so Id like a newer model if thats possible but thanks again for your help

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

i mean the one that i've been recommended to by a PC build professional is from 2016, like there really hasn't been major changes in consumer grade PSUs, (only ones that i can remember are for titanium/platinum rated PSUs which you really don't need for standard use)

i highly recommend trying to get a replacement if your still in that 30 day period

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Its a brand new unit(as in you didn't buy used). Its still is a good unit and Corsair still has what is basically a monopoly on the mid range PSU market with the CXM and the CX, no one has been able to topple them yet. What year the PSU came out (within reason of course) does not reflect how good or bad it. Also iirc the "2017" 750W version came out in 2015 and its actually worse than the 450-650W ones. The Evga G2 is still a popular PSU yet it came out in 2014, I'm even using one myself and have zero plans to replace it any time soon

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube