add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

stutter in some games.

akimboo

11 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $118.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - H310M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $62.26 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial - 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $99.85 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card $274.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Deepcool - DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case $55.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic - 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ SuperBiiz
Keyboard Corsair - K65 LUX RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $100.59 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G305 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse $49.16 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $871.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-21 12:55 EDT-0400

Here is my parts list. I have been experiecing some stutter and lower frames than expected in some games. GTA V gets really laggy when i am wanted by police, but i figured out that if i close Logitech Gaming Software, it stops, but i still get lower frames than i thought would,and some stutter, i play at a mix of medium/high settings and still get like 50-70FPS in any situation.. I also get stutter in Fallout New Vegas for some reason? Even with anti stutter mods enabled, that have been proven to ix these problems. Is the 1660 ti bottlenecked by my I3 8100? Does a bad HDD cause stuttering? This HDD has been through 3 motherboards, idk if that has anything to do with it, and it came from a pre built lenovo PC, only part remaining from that pre built is the hard drive.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Please, read this to better understand how performance works.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand how performance works for the most part, and I've tried all the solutions on that post. I was really just asking 1 main question with this post, would a bad or damaged HDD cause stutter? I can't really find a concrete answer anywhere else online so i asked here. Only things I can think of would be that or bad airflow.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

can't really find a concrete answer anywhere

Because there's none. :)

Technically it should not cause your FPS problems.

But if the game constantly tries to read/write to the storage in a manner that blocks rendering, then yes, it can cause you problems. Probably that's a bad programming practice and it should be avoided by the game programmers. But it can happen.

Also, every game is different. While you may have problems in one game, other games may run just fine.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

The only thing I can think of is that you may have plugged the monitor cables (so HDMI/VGA/DVI/Display Port) into the motherboard itself and not the GPU. GPU ports are situated directly on the GPU. If this is the case, then plug it into the GPU and your problems should be sorted.

A bad HDD can certainly stutter due to the textures not loading into the memory quickly enough. What I suggest you do is to run a game and then look at Task Manager to see what is using your CPU. If there's another program aside from the game you are playing that takes a significant amount of CPU, that will be your problem. Your CPU shouldn't bottleneck your GPU as most games tend to use 1 - 2 cores at the most.

Either way, regardless of whether your Hard Drive is the problem, an SSD will significantly improve your user experience so the best course of action would be to backup all your files, and reinstall windows onto your SSD. This can be done via a boot USB and it is suggested that your do a complete wipe to reinstall everything as remnants of windows can be a bit of a problem in some case.

Otherwise, I'd take a look at your monitor cables, the task manager, then think about getting an SSD.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

A bad HDD would probably only cause slower loading times and missing files, but it could be possible. It shouldn't affect frame rate though. That CPU won't bottleneck that GPU. If you had the video cable plugged into the motherboard you probably wouldn't even get that sort of frame rate.

Do you have proper airflow? I have used that case before and from I remember it doesn't have very great airflow. If you can check the temps you are getting at idle and under load that would help.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Try killing indexing and superfetch, does your game still stutter?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube