add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help, 2 builds same parts, one no display!

sand_bear

11 months ago

Asus prime a320m-k, ryzen 3 2200g, ballistix 2400mhz 8gb memory, crucial bx500 ssd, 520w apevia captain power ATX-CT52.

Neither builds had display, tried everything, thought it was bios version, but then i reset the CMOS and the one machine had display.

Now the other one doesnt have display no matter what I do.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

i don't recognize the motherboards D: (turns out it's the super budget options intended for Office PCs)

i would say that the problem is that the 2200g is a 2nd generation CPU while any AMD motherboard in the 300 series is only capable of working with 1st generation AMD CPUs until you give it a bios upgrade but it might be different with the a320 chip set

could also be a large amount of other issues, try swapping the ram of the working PC with the one that doesn't work, to see if that is the problem

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

tried the memory, both sticks are fine, might be the mobo or cpu, would be so weird to have so many different problems with the same order :/

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

agreeing with FancySnany, the A320 board requires a BIOS upgrade in order to run 2000-series Ryzen chips. This is only possible using an older compatible CPU.

3 options:

1. Contact AMD support to see if they're still offering CPU kits on loan for upgrade purposes. Or ask someone you know who may have a 1000-series ryzen chip at hand / a 2-core Athlon APU

2. Take both boards down to a local computer/repairs shop and have it sorted there - check with them first!

3. buy a used APU/etc, run the updates and sell it on

Just to confirm, did you manage to get one of the machines up and running in full working order? Or just seeing a display logo or something?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i even installed windows on it

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats odd! One appears to be updated (BIOS) already. If you purchased the second mobo at the same time, it's likely Ryzen-2000 ready too. Maybe check with the seller!

If you are confident it's 2000-series ready:

Try the working display on the second machine as it may be a display fault on one of them.

Poor connectivity is also a possibility. Check all cable connections (mobo, parts, PSU, etc etc)

If you're using an extension lead for drawing power, take the unit to a wall socket when testing different methods.

Double check your front panel connectors, make sure these are in their correct positions

If all goes south, remove the cooler and take out the chip. Check for bent pins. Make sure the coolers plastic film is removed before remounting (you never know). This process will also eliminate the possibility of a poorly mounted cooler (loose contact). Hope you've got some spare thermal paste at hand.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube