add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Almighty_Sosa
  • 11 months ago

was hoping to see if someone could help me. i have this build ( https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DN4sGG ) i am looking to upgrade cpu to an i7 7700. Even though my mobo and hte new cpu are the same socket tells me they are non compatible unless i update the bios? this would be my build with the upgrades ( https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DN4sGG ). new gpu down the road :p

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

You'll need to update the motherboard's BIOS first with your current processor, your i5-6500, before you upgrade to the i7-7700. Go to your motherboard's BIOS page -> SUPPORT FOR B150M MORTAR - BIOS.

From this webpage, download the latest BIOS version to a USB Drive which is BIOS Version: 7972vCD. The release date was 2018-07-03.

You do not need to increment BIOS updates because previous changes or additional features between fixing compatibles and updating the microcode carries on with the latest BIOS available for the motherboard. Here's an MSI video that shows an idea on how to do this, despite its age it's pretty much the same method: MSI® HOW-TO use M-FLASH for single BIOS.

CLARIFICATION: I forgot to explain about this process further. Basically you download the latest BIOS version to a USB drive you have available, can be a 4GB/8GB/16GB that must have at least 1 GB available space remaining. Once you have BIOS 7972vCD in your USB drive, either eject it from another computer or don't eject it all if your using your own computer that you intend to upgrade.

With the USB drive inserted to your computer by a USB port, reboot your computer and press DELETE until you see your BIOS Menu. From MSI's BIOS, select M-Flash at the left side of the screen and when you selected M-Flash you should see your USB drive. You may (or may not) need to locate the folder that has the BIOS but should appear a name called 7972vCD and within this folder should see "E7972IMS.CD0" which is the BIOS file you need to select to update. Wait until it's done updating/flashing your BIOS, basically don't power off the computer nor restart it. When you see it reboot automatically and return to the BIOS to confirm your BIOS update. Possibly see "BIOS version E7972IMS V#.#".

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

thanks for the help <3

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube