add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I7 2600 or 3770 - help me choose

caiokn

3 months ago

Hey there

I'm looking to revive an old build of mine using either an i7 2600 or i7 3770, since I already have a working H61 mobo, 2x8 GB DDR3 RAM and a good 450w psu.

Here are the pros and cons of each CPU in my opinion:

i7 2600 - Pros: uses solder so temperatures tend to be lower than on the Ivy Bridge chip - Cons: uses solder, and if it cracks it could end up killing the CPU (not sure if it can happen)

i7 3770 - Pros: a tad newer, has better performance and lower TDP - Cons: uses TIM, and I remember many, many people complained about Ivy Bridge CPUs being way too hot

Based on that, which would you choose?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 11 points

The "too hot" problem really only occurs with overclocking. For these locked chips on an H61 board, you have nothing to worry about. Any run-of-the-mill heatpipe cooler will work fine.

Since most H61 boards have garbage VRM's, you're better off with the 3770's better efficiency to reduce the current and heat on the motherboard.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Agree with that. People only complained because the 2600k usually hit 4.5-5.0ghz without temp issues. The 3770k had a temperature threshold which limited a lot of users to go above 4.5ghz-4.6ghz. It really was the start of Intel not really increasing performance where sandy vs ivy was just PCI E 3.0 support.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for replying, I'll take a look at the 3770 deals then.

I actually happened to find a good deal on an I7-3770s (65w) but its Tcase is only 69.1°C, which seems pretty low for an I7. I wonder if entry level coolers like the Hyper 212 Evo or the Deepcool Gammax GT would be enough to keep the CPU cool enough under heavy usage (video converting, for example).

• 3 months ago
  • 3 points

Don't get a 212 because of its bad price to cooling performance, get an Arctic Freezer 33 or Gammaxx S40 or 300

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

The 212 would be more than enough.

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

3770 would be the better pick, but I’m concerned about whether the motherboard has the right BIOS version.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I'm guessing it has but I'll update it to the last available version just to make sure.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube