add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget home/office build latest revision - Build help required

Chippywhite
  • 11 months ago

Hi Have recently purchased the individual items as listed (with the exception of the SSD & DVD/CD writer). Having assembled the unit and powered on there is no display. Somewhat disappointed to say the least. Have googled the problem and it appears to be a common occurrence. So have tried the most commonly suggested fix, clear cmos, still no joy. Have also taken the whole thing apart again and re-assembled. Still no joy. Starting to get a little frustrated now and would appreciate some guidance as to what I might be missing or have done wrong! Somehow having purchased all new components don't feel like I should have to be trouble shooting to get the thing working properly. I will however be very humble if someone manages to identity where I am going wrong in my attempts to get the PC fully operational.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Do you have a discrete GPU card? if so, make sure the monitor is plugged into the GPU, not the motherboard video output.

Pull all but one RAM stick and try it in each of the RAM slots. If nothing works, try a different RAM stick assuming you have more than one.

Does the monitor work if plugged into a different PC?

Double-check the connections between motherboard and case, in particular the power switch connectors, it's not too hard to get them mixed up into the wrong pins.

That's about all I can think of without a parts list.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reply. Will answer in more detail tomorrow.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

it would be nice to have the list of parts you have. this is going to sound stupid but is your display on? also are the fans spinning in your build? if their not then its not powered.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reply. Forgive me......new to this forum...what's the best way to list the parts...other than ask you to look at the system build section that I used. Yes the monitor was switched on. Yes all the fans were spinning. (PSU, CPU & Chasis).

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Put all your parts on here and copy and past the link were it says perma link toward the upper left side.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reply. Will post a response tomorrow.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi, Hopefully I have done this correctly. Two items not listed but used from my old build were the HDD 2TB SATA, with the OS on it. Plus a DVD/CD reader (but this was not connected). I have purchased these components to create a new PC after my very old Dell system failed on me.

https://Permalink: Markup: .com/list/CBLzD2

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

The link was garbled, but is the below correct? PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor $55.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $63.88 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory $50.98 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox E300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case $35.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.90 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $306.63
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $256.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-04 18:50 EDT-0400

So there's no GPU and the monitor should be plugged into a motherboard video output. If possible, try both HDMI and DVI, maybe one of the outputs is broken. If all else fails, remove the CPU and make sure it was installed with the correct orientation. Unplug the HDD and DVD to see if you can at least get into the BIOS. Beyond that, and assuming that all connections are correct, you may have some dead-on-arrival hardware. Does anything click when you push the case power button? If so, and nothing else helps, you might have a bad motherboard. If you get no reaction from the power button, motherboard is likely, but it could also be a bad power switch or bad PSU.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi Monitor plugged in via VGA connection on the MB. No additional graphics card connected. Have two monitors and have tried both (both previously working on old set up). Can't test the DIV as I don't have a correct connection for it. Also tried the HDMI connection on my sons gaming monitor. Didn't work. When pressing the power on button, it illuminates and all the fans spin up.

Something else I forgot to mention was that my keyboard doesn't have power to it (USB connection). Normally you would expect to see the number lock light come on, but no. Mouse is connected wirelessly but no idea if that is working!

Trying to do all of this during a working work is difficult, but with the weekend upon us hopefully I should be able to spend a bit more time on it. Should I get a MB speaker?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

OK. Thank you to those that have tried to help me but I think my patience with this has now run out. Have exhausted all suggestions and now I'm going to return the motherboard and get a replacement. One thing that slightly bothers me is how do I know if it is truely a defective MB or could it be the CPU? I'm leaning towards a defective MB as the keyboard is not functioning ( but I'm no expert and could be clutching at straws with that reasoning )

Oh well there is only one way to find out.......process of elimination. Extremely frustrating to say the least.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

assuming that the CPU was installed correctly, stats say that motherboards fail way more than cpus. (a bad cpu usually doesn't make it out of the fab, while a mobo has way more solder joints and suchlike to fail)

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I have given up now! Despite replacing the MOBO it still didn't make any difference. So all the components have been re-boxed up and will be on their way back to Amazon. Going to purchase a pre - built PC. Shame really as I thought doing your own build from a recommended build listing should have been straight forward ☹️ One thing that I did notice whilst packing it all up was a small slip notification about the AM4 compatibility via a bios update. But how the hell are you supposed to do that if you can't get a post to the monitor? Thanks for all your input btw.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I was thinking that maybe you got two motherboards with out of date BIOS. The B450's are compatible with Ryzen 2 but not necessarily with the 200 GE, which came along later. You'd need a loaner chip, maybe a 2200G, or any Ryzen and a temporary GPU, or someone local who would flash the BIOS. I suppose you could try to return just the mobo for one that's properly up to date but sounds like you don't want to deal with it, which I could understand.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Right! Now I am really frustrated. Replacement mobo delivered today. Plugged in exactly like before...same result. No post to monitor. What am I doing wrong? What am I missing? Can anybody who has a similar set up post a photo or basic diagram of where all the connectors go. It has to be something I am doing!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube