add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My new PC won't POST

Dakka
  • 11 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Dakka/saved/nXhbXL

I've hooked everything up to the best of my knowledge, and the blasted thing won't even start.

I have been looking forward to building this thing for a very long time and this is making me rather sad. Please help me.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

NICE BUILD!

If not powering up at all with no leds or fans running?

• Make sure the PSU power switch is on the "on" position (i tend to make that error occasionally on first boot up attempts)

• If using an extension lead, drop it and plug directly into the wall mains (to isolate potential external culprits)

• If the above simpler checks fail, double check all cable connections from and to the PSU unit. Make sure these are snug. Make sure you have both the motherboard 24-pin ATX and 8-pin CPU connections confirmed as these are your mobo/CPU power juicers.

If you're getting power with some signs of functionality (mobo lighting up, fans running) but can't boot the system with the front panel power button - double check your front panel connections on the mobo and make sure these are plugged onto the correct pins (refer to mobo manual).

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

I now have it plugged in directly to the wall, and I made sure the motherboard was connected. However, the 8-pin CPU connection is mystifying me. There's an 8-pin thingy labelled CPU_PWR1 and a 4-pin one next to it labelled CPU_PWR2. There's two plugs labeled CPU but they're both 4 pin.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

The mobo CPU_PWR1 header (8-pin) is necessary and the additional CPU_PWR2 (4-pin) is optional for extreme overclocking (since your PSU doesn't include an extra 4-pin CPU/EPS cable, don't worry about CPU_PWR2)

On the PSU side, the included two 4-pin CPU connectors tie in as a single 8-pin connection. Line up both of these 4-pin connectors and slot them into CPU_PWR1.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, I hooked up both of those 4-pin connectors to the 8-pin thing. It's still not starting.

Sometimes I do see a red light blink a few times on the motherboard when I turn the PSU switch on.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

That sucks! I was hoping the CPU power feed was the fix

"Red light blinking" - where are you seeing this? The board should have 4 leds (EZ Debug), labelled as CPU, VGA, RAM and BOOT (or similar arrangement). These are normally located on the right side of the board, above the motherboards 24-pin ATX header.

If you are 100% certain that the front panel connectors are correctly connected, a couple of other quick troubleshooters:

• remove all externally connected devices/peripherals (keyboard, mouse, speakers, mic, etc etc). We want to isolate the rig as much as possible to rule out any externally engaged possibilities. Give the system a shot!

• Check to see if your CPU coolers fan is connected to the motherboards CPU_FAN1 header. You might want to check the pins and then reconnect.

• Pull out the RAM sticks and check the dimm slots/RAM pins. Make sure these contacts are clear of any hindrance. It would be a good idea to test the system with a single RAM stick each time to eliminate the possibility of a dead-module. Make sure you're utilising the recommended dimm slots when inserting the sticks back in (according to mobo manual) and these should snap in with the latches on either side snapping into the "hold" position.

At this point if all else fails -

1. Remove the cooler and pull out the chip. Check the CPU's condition (make sure the contacts are clear of any hindrance) and check the motherboards pins (look out for bent/broken ones). if all is good, reseat the chip, add some paste and bolt on the cooler. Remember to connect the cooler fan to CPU_FAN1 and see if it boots.

2. If the above fails, the possibility of a bad mobo or PSU failure is likely. If you have another system in the home which you can test the PSU with, that would help.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm actually not sure if I connected the front panel connectors properly.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like you still have a power problem.

Reading your PSU and MB user guides, your PSU comes with:

A 24/20 pin MB cable. There is a socket on your PSU labeled M/B - plug this one in there. On your MB, there's a socket labeled ATX_PWR1 - plug the other end in there.

An 8/4 pin CPU cable. There is a socket on your PSU labeled CPU/PCIE - plug this one in there. You can use any of the 6 sockets On your MB, there is a socket labeled CPU_PWR1 - plug the other end in there. You can leave CPU_PWR2 for now.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I sorted out the CPU cables but the problem persists. I'm thinking at this point that I have a faulty power supply.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube