add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

cpu done, mobo for small case (2200g cpu, 16-64 ram)

parts101

1 month ago

1. there's no good itx mobo that supports ddr5 ??

2. future itx mobos can have ddr5 ram? max would be 32?

i think mobo is the next step after cpu?

could see the conversations for what a good helpful understandable clear reply is https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/314692-eli5-how-do-you-advise-we-pick-a-cpu

• maybe there's some other helpful info
  • besides what a good helpful understandable clear reply is, i dont think there's really anything to see

for mobo

this is the only needs i know of, and can think of:

1. that cpu
  2. ram: going for 16-32 (undecided currently, maybe would go for 16 first, then upgrade to 32 in future)
  3. just works, and you just plug the parts in and done

1) could you link the best itx based on these needs that could be gotten on amazon or a nearby major store

2) & could you link one atx based on these needs that could be gotten on amazon or a nearby major store

• cos ppl have said that itx in the past was bad, heat problems, but this cpu wont have heat problems yea?

• then im going to compare those 2 mobos

• and see if size tradeoff is worth it (im guessing it is unless itx is really bad)

for mobo, these are some options seen on the web in the past

i dont know how accurate or reliable of picks any of these are

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

2400G is a little better than 2200G, but costs more. Most say the 2200 is better deal, but 2400 performs a little better in games so is the extra cost worth it to you.

ITX is the smallest board, is that what you want? Matx is larger and ATX is full size. You have to get a case that fits the board. The B450 are the most current, a B350/X370 can also work. Some may need a bios update and make sure it has the video output you want for the APU. Some have displayport some do not. Faster memory like 3200 will help the APU perform better. A lot of home theater builds use ITX boards and small cases.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Faster memory like 3200 will help the APU perform better

how much faster exactly? i guess it doesnt matter if cost is prety much the same, can you put in the ram post

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Some may need a bios update

what's the cause of this, is it cause they are a newer mobo or older mobo?

how do we know if it does or not?

would prefer mobo that needs nothing, jsut works

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

B450

current for the needs?

or current in all mobos?

what mean 'current'?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

displayport

what's taht? dont they all have something for lcd/display

this is just a regular computer

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

ITX is the smallest board

• what percent of market is this?

• what % of size relative to 'regular' is this? regular you said was atx thing

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

ITX motherboards are small, there are 4 main types of motherboard form factors.

EATX-ATX-MATX-ITX in that order from largest to smallest. The 2 builds I have now are MATX and ITX and I will link them for you to see: Ryzen Stealth matx and Black Ice HTPC itx. There is a techquicky video done by Linus about "Motherboard sizes as fast as possible" and that will give a better visual aid on the sizes even if it is an older video. I would find that link for you but I am at work and can't access youtube atm.

If you want 64GB of ram which is pointless when paired with a 2200g then that would rule out ITX form factor as you need 4x16gb sticks of ram and ITX boards are small enough they only have 2 DIMM slots. MATX boards can have 2 or 4 DIMM slots such as the board I have is 4 so it can use 64GB of ram.

Typically any workload that can use as much as 32gb of ram also needs a better CPU than that so even a 6 or 8 core Ryzen would better fit. If I were you I would not invest into 64GB of ram and instead get 16 or 32 and get a higher CPU instead as overall that will give you the best performance jump.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

64GB of ram which is pointless when paired with a 2200g

rule out ITX form factor as you need 4x16gb sticks of ram

and ITX boards are small enough they only have 2 DIMM slots.

really? there's nothing larger than 16gb? nobody said that over at ram...

and there's not a single itx mobo that has more than 32?

ok so on itx max would be 32 that's ok,

one of the probelms was that ram wasnt yet decided and the questions over there were still unanswered, so cant progress yet

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

So what kind of workload are you doing that you think you need 64gb of ram for? Higher end content creation can use that but you also need a beefy CPU to handle that same workload. If it is just gaming then 16GB is the sweet spot. If you want to get into livestreaming and get into your own video editing as a hobby I would get a r5 2600 as a bare minimal and get no more than 32gb of ram. 16gb is enough for gaming+livestreaming.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i recognised afterwards that

• relative case size is what matters
  • and not mobo size cos mobo is inside case

so i should be asking about case sizes, not mobo sizes

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You can get really tiny cases for ITX boards such as the node 202 case. It is not much larger than the current PS4. Also my Coolermaster elite 130 case in my black ice HTPC build is small enough to fit in a duffel bag and is much smaller than my matx build. Keep in mind both builds I linked my cat posed in both of them so you can easily see the size difference. I tried to use my smaller couch keyboard the Logitech k400 plus keyboard as a size reference too.

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

ok i gotta wait for knowledgeable/experienced ppl to link a itx

so from what you seen, itx is comparable to atx (at least for the needs in post?). just to clear up on this point/uncertainty

cos ppl in the past have said itx has limits problems, heat, etc, this cpu shouldnt cause any heat problems yea?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Is this for playing games on for example?

i'd think no,

but i cant predict the future or uses since things can or cannot change

but currently no

would this affect the choices between the 4 mobos under same name

cos i assume the differences arent significant?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well typically when someone is looking to get a computer they already have an idea of what they want to do with it right away. Why want a PC if you dont have a use for one right? So do you know what this PC is going to be used for?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Why want a PC if you dont have a use for one right now

good question, uh to get a better one soon? old desktop was like 10 years old or something

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

could you mention when possible if there's any significant differences between the 4 cos i dont think there's many ppl that would know, and would like to progress the mobo part since it's needed for the other parts

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

currently?

after some thought, and moreso after an interesting reply over at ram

i decided that i overall at this second and in the more immediate vicinity of 'currently' use computing tech for learning

while i agree that the higher probability is that someone would do the same thing due to various causes (complex or simple ones), this is still just a probability and i think this singular probability doesnt give enough consideration to all the users that will not be doing the same thing, or similar things in the near future. the near (or sometimes longer) future is implicitly understood as to the use or value of something

what something is used for is also not necessarily & always what something is wanted to be used for. this ofc would make the whole topic much more complex

"Why want a PC if you dont have a use for one right now".

while a computationally better machine may not help make someone's life better in any significant way, outside of personal computing, i dont think we should undervalue the potency of desires, in any scopes or contexts

People usually know what they want to use a PC for.

i dont agree with this point at all. right now if you ask the entire population, 95+% would not really know why they want something besides saying that they 'just want it',

• or that they may not know immediately why,

• or they would not be verbally expressive enough to be able to communicate why

• or that they have a simple lack of self-awareness

• or one of many many many possible causes for why they would not know,

there are many examples across various topics & contexts that shows this would be the case of anyone not knowing why they want X, there's far too many examples

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

B450

there's so many B450 on amazon, are they all the same?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

They do vary by quite a lot. I built my ryzen stealth build april 2017 shortly after first gen ryzen launch and I had a hell of a time researching which board best suited my needs. As I was going to run an 8 core chip and overclock it good VRMs was a must and at the time the board I took was the best board available for VRMs in the MATX form factor. The more modern version of that exact board is the ASRock B450M pro4 board though there is a much wider selection now than before.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

much wider selection now than before.

• well hopefully there's some good filtering sites out there

• or just a few versions (1-3) of this thing, and the site would show a chart/graph

• and hopefully this build would be lots simpler

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I am quite happy with my ASRock AB350M Pro4 board as the VRMs have been keeping up really well with my r7 1800x @ 4.0 Ghz and 1.381v since april 2017 and still going strong today. I would think the b450 version of that board as it looks like it has the exact same VRMs would hold up quite well too especially for the price. Though if you only plan on running a 4 core 2200g then just about any b450 motherboard will have enough power from the VRMs where you do not have to worry.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

vrm

dunno what's vrms, do i need vrms or something

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

VRM = Voltage Regulator Module.

If you look on a motherboard you will see some square chips usually above and to the left of the CPU socket and right near some heat sinks on the motherboard and those are it. Those are what provide power to the CPU and allows it to run. When you have a CPU that needs more power then you need a motherboard that can supply enough power to it. That is basically what a VRM does in a nutshell.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

When you have a CPU that needs more power then you need a motherboard that can

oh backup power, intersting never heard about, maybe new

im guessing w/e is the in-built psu would be enough for the 2200g tho

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

2200g is a basic low power CPU so you can basically run it off any motherboard

any easy simple ways to know this about 2200g? any good youtubes?

so are there any good mobo-picking charts/graphs that says,

2200g = basic low power CPU, can use any mobos

?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you want to get 16gb of ram and spend the money you saved from a 32 bg kit of ram you can get a r5 2600 though that is assuming you are getting a video card for gaming. You will get better performance and the system will last longer for you. Having more ram than you need does not add speed, it will basically go unused.

There are only 4 b450 itx boards and it seems they all have 4+2 phase vrms so if you are not doing hardcore overclocking either of those boards will work. Though from our conversation here I would not recommend to try any serious overclocking.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

do you know whenever you can if there's any significant differences of 4 mobos, i dont know why they have 4 under the same name, it's very confusing

if there isnt, i guess any mobo would likely be fine

over at cpu, someone had said,

computations or compression/decompression algorithms). If such a CPU was in your use scenario you would have stipulated that. Since you did not,

i've no idea what overclock is, and im assuming i dont need it

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

VRMs convert and control that power to the right voltage for the CPU so that the CPU can use it

is more than ample for a 2200g but will likely overheat and power throttle on a 2700x

power seems important

so are there any good mobo-picking charts/graphs that says,

2200g = go with this mobo and anything under this, cos all these mobos are enough power

or if it's a higher cpu = go with this mobo or anything above this vram

?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You know how a PSU has 2x4 pin connectors for the CPU power that

nope no idea never a made pc before

but i understand basically what you're saying,

you're basically saying there is something on the mobo that does things related to energy to help the cpu do stuff

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hello!

It would be beneficial if you put all your questions into one post instead of multiple, even if you're asking multiple questions because it allows those who seek to help know all the information beforehand, without having to go through each post you've made.

1) could you link the best itx based on these needs that could be gotten on amazon or a nearby major store

Not really, the only "needs" you listed are 16-32gb of ram, which doesn't narrow the board selection down at all. I have no idea what features you'd want on your board (Fan headers, WiFi, m.2 slots, sata ports etc...) so I am unable to show you the "best" board. It's possible to just pick the most expensive one but I would have no idea if you'd need all the features and therefore buying the most expensive might just waste you money.

2) & could you link one atx based on these needs that could be gotten on amazon or a nearby major store

Same issues with ITX boards.

cos ppl have said that itx in the past was bad, heat problems, but this cpu wont have heat problems yea?

If you mean, would the stock cooling be adequate for your cpu then the answer is yes, if you have no intention of overclocking.

possibly 2400g if that would matter to the mobo pick (tho i dunno))

Between the 2200g and the 2400g? No the mobo choice would not matter as they are the same system architecture and are designed for the same boards.

someone also said the middle of 'Ryzen 3 - Ryzen 7', which was ' i5 or Ryzen 5 series ' but i dont think this would be needed or matter (at least near term)

Well... what is needed, you've not said anything about what you intend to use the cpu for, so perhaps a ryzen 5 would be better, does your use case require more cores? If so then yes, getting a higher core count CPU would do better.

if i recall accurately, 2200g has a igpu

Yes both the 2200g and the 2400g have integrated graphics

for mobo, these are some options seen on the web in the past

If we make the assumption that you just want a barebones board, then grab any b450 board you like and use that, Ryzen platforms require AM4 socket motherboards. You could buy a b350 board however with 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs they'll require a BIOS update so it's best to buy a 4xx series board just to be on the safe side.

please just link the best mobo along with the evidence or reasons why it's the best option if you know about this as with the cpu pick, thanks

Well if you'd elaborate on what you need then we could start selecting boards.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

AM4 socket motherboards

um so you're sayin i need this ok

so how we know what mobos has this?

is there like a list?

is there a good ranking anywhere on mobos that has this?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Please... Just post 1 comment with all your questions, instead of 4

in regards to all your question.

so how we know what mobos has this?

If you use PcPP you can search motherboards by their sockets. So if you click on where the motherboards are on this website on the right hand side will be a bunch of attributes (Colour, manufacturer, rating, seller etc..). One of those attributes will be socket, just select AM4 (for Ryzen chips) and look down the list. You can also narrow your search by selecting the chipset also on the right hand side (In this case b350/b450)

why is this cos of the mobo or cpu?

Ryzen 2nd gen came out after the 3xx series of boards, so for the 3xx series of boards to work with the new chips you'll need to update the boards BIOS. To do this you'll need a 1st gen ryzen chip to update, which is why I recommend just buying the newer 4xx series boards.

Stock cooling, is the included CPU cooling unit that comes with your CPU, not every CPU comes with one (In which case the retailer will let you know), but both the 2200g and the 2400g do.

Overclocking is the process of increasing the electrical power your CPU uses to exert more performance, such as changing the clock speed to make the CPU faster, in a general sense. With this increase of energy comes an increase of power consumption and heat, which is why it's not recommended to overclock with stock cooling as the stock cooling is designed around what the manufacturer has set for the CPU, overclocking can hurt your CPU but it can be used to squeeze some extra performance.

CPU Cores are the physical processing units within the CPU, so with both the 2200g and the 2400g, your CPU has 4 cores. You might also notice with the 2400g that it has 4C/8T with the T=threads. Those threads are simply those 4 cores being able to do two things simultaneously (AMD calls this simultaneous multi-threading, Intel calls it Hyper-threading).

someone would have to ask clarifying and specific questions to me on the needs

Uh no, you'd need to tell us what you need this for, we can't guess at what you'd potentially use this for, you'd need to tell us. When I say what do you need this for i'm talking programs/expectations. You looking to play video games? What kind of settings you want to play at, what games we talking about? You looking at just simple word processing? or perhaps you just want to use the machine to watch YT videos, there's an innumerable amount of possibility so you'd need to tell us.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

b350 board however with 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs they'll require a BIOS update

why is this cos of the mobo or cpu?

is it cos mobo is old or new or cos cpu is old or why?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

stock cooling

dunno what that means

overclocking.

dunno what that means

more cores

dunno what that means

same system architecture same boards.

um ok

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

elaborate on what you need

i dont know what else to say

someone would have to ask clarifying and specific questions to me on the needs cos that's all i know and all i need from what i know

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you want a budget system with a small case, then look up reviews on Ryzen AM4 ITX motherboards. Pick one that has the features and price you like. If you want more pci and features look at MATX boards you can still fit them in a mid case, but the ITX cases are the smallest. Make sure the board accepts the 2200/2400g APU any B450 board should have the video out for them. With a APU you do not buy a GPU that saves you money. It may not play brand new games that well.

When you get to 3000 or 3200 OC memory the price goes up, so only get faster if your budget can do it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ryzen AM4 ITX

so this mobo has all the needs in the post?

if so, i guess will keep this option

the ram questions over at ram finally got cleared up, basically none of the ram stuff mattered

except for the speed, we still dont know about that

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

parts101 has posted multiple threads but STILL has not said what he or she is going to use the computer for. Can't answer CPU or motherboard or even memory amount questions without that.

or a nearby major store

Nearby to what? I'm in the northeast US. What's nearby to you?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Maybe a language barrier? One of the original posts said small PC so I suggested ITX.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube