add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Internet cutting out

akimboo

10 months ago

Recently on my PC, i'll lose internet connection for about 5-10 seconds at a time, maybe once every other hour. I was wondering if this was a problem with my USB NIC or if it is a problem with something else. I've never had it happen on my phone so idk. It's really a problem because i'll be in the middle of a ranked round in Siege then get disconnected and cause my team to lose the round because of it.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Nobody should be playing anything ranked over wifi. You're just asking for trouble. Do your team a favor and get yourself connected with a network cable. I would say there is a problem with your USB NIC or there is some interference causing it to cut out.

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

First half, you're not helping at all.

I agree though on the second half. I used to run a USB WiFi dongle and when it failed, it would consistently cut out and eventually just stop working.

If you must use WiFi, I'd go with a PCIe card instead of going with a USB again

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Why isn't the first half helping? He said that WiFi is not as reliable as a wired connection. Which I agree with. Maybe it could have been more specific, but the meaning came through, I think: WiFi is not that reliable as Ethernet connection.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not helping because it's not his WiFi service that's being unreliable, it's his USB WiFi card lol

• 10 months ago
  • 0 points

WiFi, in general, is less reliable than a wired connection. With distance, the signal weakens. Interference can cause problems. Also, you have higher latencies on WiFi.

All this makes the WiFi a potentially poorer choice for competitive gaming than Ethernet.

Sure, the disconnection problem could be with the USB NIC, but also, WiFi, in general, is not as reliable.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean i've never had problems with Wi-Fi in ranked until now in the 2.5 years i've been playing Siege so idk.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

call your ISP to check your signals both inside and outside of your home

do a speed test

do a ping test

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube