add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Random frozen screen or shutdown

Seadog92

10 months ago

Hey guys, sorry because I am not very experienced with PCs or trouble shooting and I could use some help. I made another forum post but I felt it wasnt clear. My issue is that my new build (first time) is having an issue where it will randomly freeze up or will cut off but normally will not restart. When it doesnt restart the monitor will say there is no signal detected but everything in the case (all fans, rgb stuff) will keep on running like nothing happened. The is just no signal to the keyboard, mouse, or monitor. The rgb lights on those specific items aren't even on which shows there is no input to them at all. I have the AMD Ryzen master installed which shows my 2700x is normally between 33-38 degrees at idle. I haven't put any stress on the PC yet because of this issue. Sometimes the screen will sit just frozen until I manually shut it down by holding in power for 15ish seconds or flipping the switch at the back. All the PC parts are new. I've replaced one of my ssd drives which failed out of the box and that did not fix this issue. Clean install of windows 10 pro. I just bought a new PSU to swap it out and see if that might be the issue. Any other suggestions would be extremely appreciated it. I have searched Google like crazy but I cant seem to find anything that has my exact issue. Thank you in advance guys.

Parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Seadog92/saved/

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you attempted to reset the CMOS on the motherboard? Are you running the latest drivers/BIOS version?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Im not sure what the CMOS on the motherboard is or how to reset that, could you explain that to me a little? I have flash updated bios in the bios, should I reset it to factory and try again?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

CMOS is complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (looked that up) and it's a term usually used to describe the small amount of memory on a computer motherboard that stores the BIOS settings. Sometimes clearing or resetting the CMOS fixes any issues with the BIOS but usually that's only user error. Meaning, maybe you accidentally changed something in there that you shouldn't have.

Turn the PC and PSU off, pull out the battery, push power button on PC and wait about 5 minutes before putting it back together. Pushing the power button should get rid of any remaining power inside all of the capacitors on the motherboard. I'm not sure if this will resolve your issues but if you haven't already done this, it might be worth your time to try.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that quick tip. I will give it a shot when I get home this evening and let you know how it goes. I'm hoping either this or the psu swap will take care of the issue. If not it will be back to the archives of trouble shooting to see if anyone else has encountered something similar and found a fix.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a weird issue for sure. Give that a shot and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you may consider wiping the PC and reinstalling the OS. Seems like a software issue to me.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay after everything I swapped out a new psu and had the same problems. So I used my ram sticks one at a time to see if that was the issue. One of them worked fine in all 4 slots, the other sent the PC into a start/shut down loop that never even got to post. So I removed it and wiped the ssd and did a clean install of windows. Seemed fine and dandy until I ran into this new issue.

New issue: After clean install I went to change my display from the 720 recommended to 1080 and it wasnt an option (it had been in the several installs before) so I checked for a windows update and there was a list of them. They all downloaded and stated pending install except the ninvidia display driver update which was stuck at 58% downloading. I left it alone and came back after about 45mins and found it said updates failed so I hit the retry button. Suddenly the screen went to 1080 (everything got smaller like the previous times i had set the display to 1080 during past windows 10 installs) but i could not pull up the settings screen anymore. It was still pinned to the task bar. Only thing I could access was start menu so I restarted it from there. On reboot I would get past motherboard screen to a black screen with my mouse cursor and that's it. No windows logo, no sign in. Just a black screen with a logo. I have reinstalled windows 10 twice now to find the same sequence of events after attempting to update it. Any thoughts

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube