add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fresh build, no power

rauthio
  • 10 months ago

Hi there, yet another first build struggle.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2tyCYT

LED on vid card and one LED on mb turn on, nothing else, no front case indicators, no fans, no signal to monitor.

What I have tried:

Reseated every power connection, all RAM, vid card, and cpu.

Cursing.

Thanks in advance for thoughts, headed back into the checking and rechecking.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

So, by "no power," do you mean there is absolutely no activity on the computer? Try these three things:

1) I see in your list that your PSU is modular. Double-check that the ends of the cables are connected to its correct side.

2) Unplug/ take out the wi-fi adapter from the motherboard and try to power it up. Just in case. Those adapters could sometimes go haywire.

3) Try a different power supply. I know this one MAY NOT be possible if you don't have a spare.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The only indicators of life are the 2 LEDs, one on the vid card and one on the mb.

Power cables have all been checked.

WiFi adapter did not affect anything connected or disconnected.

I tested the psu with the basic fan check as described by the mfg, seems to be operating at a basic level at least.

I think I now need to find a way to test the mb/cpu?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It does seem to come down to either the CPU/MB, but I would still find a way to test the PSU. Even if lights do go on and the fan spins, it may not have a pleasant time trying to take a load, e.g. trying to turn on the computer.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

If you can, temporarily short the power switch pins, could be a bad case power switch. You are already double checking the connections, re-check all case connections too (it's easy to get the power, reset, and LED connections messed up). if nothing else works, I'd say that the motherboard is the top suspect; the PSU seems to be working at least minimally but it would be suspect #2.

You did connect the separate CPU power cable, right?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, as sure as I was about the front panel connections, something must have been off... I started fresh and redid the whole panel and viola! We are installing software.

Thank you both so much for the time, I expect a lot of people find their solutions to infuriating problems here.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube