add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheap Motherboard ruin other components?

SegaLipton
  • 74 months ago

My situation is an i5 4670k along with a $39.99 Mobo. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ecs-motherboard-h87h3m310

Comments

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 74 months ago
  • 1 point

This is extremely useful, thank you.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you already have the 4670k? if not don't buy that and pair it with a h87 board. Get the non-k version, it would be a waste. Now, on the flip side if your not telling the whole story, if this is a temporary board and you will be moving to a z87 board when funds are available and just cant wait... Then it will be fine. Just dont expect to get the full performance out of the CPU.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah my bad, the temporary board will be around for 6 months then I will be upgrading to sli support mobo, another graphics card, water cooling, and a ssd. Anyways Thanks for the helpful message. I do not have the i5 4670k yet and I'll be stuck with the stock cooler for a while either way. The rest of the story is that I ordered a cheap motherboard to replace and everything else I bought at a Decent price to stay in a budget range

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Warlock posted that good article on power... with a cheap motherboard you risk cheaper parts. h87 "should" be made to support the current haswell power requirement but I wouldn't try to OC the GPU or anything like that or change the multiplier on the CPU.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol no doubt, I'm not going to oc anything on this motherboard. I am concerned about the gpu I'm getting, msi gtx 760 twin frozr gaming oc edition. It will be stock oc'd, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n760tf2gd5oc. Your replies have been refreshing thanks for continuing to answer!

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

Ya that card should be no problem, most of the power draw is from the PSU anyway for GPUs. Plus its not a power hungry card.

• 74 months ago
  • 1 point

Sweet, you put good news in your comments. Puts me in a good mood. Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube